Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday at the Northern Compound

And all is quiet - at least for now.

I took time out yesterday for a little "retail therapy" - shoes, a new handbag and a spiffy bag for the hospital. The hospital bag is a bright red quilted thing - quite festive and perfect for little toiletry items and a book (which I'll probably be too dizzy to read.) Willie will be bringing it over to me from the hotel after I get settled in NICU - he is quite concerned about walking around NYC with a bright red, quilted bag! Ha ha! I told him to just look as manly as possible and walk with 'tude...

I am on my self-directed healthy eating plan now - lots of veggies, only lean proteins, and whole grains. Not really different from the way I usually eat, but I am trying to make sure I really push the leafy greens even more than usual. Gotta keep the engine running perfectly!

Mom and Dad are still working their fingers to the bone here. Yesterday, they both weed-whacked all over the property - their hands were so numb from the weed whackers that neither one of them could life a cup of coffee. I may have to chain them to the motor home soon - just so they get some rest.

Things are relatively quiet at rehab - Phil now has permission to leave his bed at night and travel several feet to the commode unaided. He's been given specific instructions on how to do this without killing himself. We hope he complies...

Meanwhile, Willie is over at the Far Northern Compound today spearheading a big "de-cluttering" effort. He's rented a storage space and is going pry some of the treasured possessions from the dark corners of Butternut Rd and liberate them. I'm sure there will be some good stories to tell, but you won't hear them from me --- I plan to stay as far away as possible.

Willie and I are now sleeping in shifts. He took the first shift last night while I watch Top Chef on TiVO; then he took the second shift for some F-1 racing; I took the 3 Am shift for a little light reading; back to Willie in a few hours for more F-1. I don't think things have been much better in the driveway where my parents are no-doubt sleeping in shifts. (And, no, they're not sleeping in the actual driveway - they are comfortably ensconced in their 35-foot deluxe motorhome!) Maybe once I'm in the hospital and Ethel is safely removed from my head, we'll all finally get some sleep. I plan on demanding morphine every five minutes if necessary! :)

Rocket and Phoebe and crazy dog Carrie are on their best behavior - well, sort of. Rocket still has an occasional spot-monster attack and Carrie is still neurotic. Phoebe is just ... well, she's just Phoebe - into everything and totally clueless. She loves to help herself to salad greens and other veggies when no one is looking - aparently she isn't aware that cats are supposed to be carnivores...

well, that's the latest from the northern compound...

No comments:

Post a Comment