Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It Comes in Threes...

Challenges, that is.

So, this all started a couple of months ago with us rushing my mother in law (Virginia) to the hospital ER where we learned (after 6 hours) that she had a ruptured appendix. During her 8 days in the hospital, I also found out that I had this thing growing on my 8th Cranial Nerve!

One would really think that this would be enough stress and crappiness for one little family here in NJ. But NO...

Two days ago, Virginia found my father in law (Phil) passed out on the bathroom floor. After reviving him and spending 4 hours trying to convince him to go to the hospital (don't even ask) Virginia finally called an ambulance. Fast forward a few hours - broken hip. I became the "sargent" of the calling tree - phoning my husband first (and, that isn't a call I relished making - there's just no easy way to break that news), then the other son (Philip) and Aunt Millie (Phil's sister).

As of this moment, he is scheduled to have surgery Friday which will involved pinning the bone/s. He is is very disoriented because of the meds and keeps wanting to leave the hospital. This whole thing is a huge worry because of his age (81) and also the fact that he could barely walk before this because both of his knees are shot.

As the date for my own surgery moves ever closer, I am definitely feeling the stress of this latest crisis. I am usually the one micro-managing everyone else's health (a standing joke in the family), but I don't feel really very well equipped to do that right now.

Happily, my own parents are arriving sometime tomorow! No matter what your age, there are times when you just want your mom and dad - and this is one of those times for sure!

The animals continue to amuse me. Phoebe handily removed both curtains by the front door today. Apparently some bug or spider got in and was hanging on the sheers - Phoebe went on the offensive and ripped both sheers right off the windows. I'm not sure what the status of the bug is...

My primary doc pronounced me to be "as fit as a 32-year old" today and signed off on my medical release.

Countdown continues. Updates to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment