Thursday, June 5, 2008

Update from the PICC Queen .. or is it Princess?

Well, it has been an eventful week…

Had my first follow up appointment with the neurosurgeon , Dr. Golfinos, yesterday. He was pleased with things, and saw improvement in my face, which was especially welcome news. I am scheduled for the first follow up MRI in September so that we can have a look at what’s left of Ethel. It will be the first in a series of follow ups, but as long as I can be sedated, I have no fear of the dreaded MRI machine! (According to a friend of a friend, it is a little known fact that MRI machines suck your spirit out…)

Yesterday was the appointment with Dr. Louie, who is the infectious disease guy (honestly, that is actually what is on his card – why can’t they come up with a better title??) He said that one of my blood markers is still off, so wants me to continue the IV infusions for another 10 days – until next Friday, if all goes well. He hastened to point out that if I go off too soon and the infection comes back, I’ll have no option other than a second surgery – that got my attention!

Meanwhile, I’ve had nothing but grief with the HHC (Home Health Care) nursing company – the nurse they have been sending out just flat out scared me with her level of incompetence. I finally complained yesterday to the IV company, as they subcontract the HHC company. Well, long story short – the owner of the HHC company was supposed to be here at 7:30 this morning to draw blood and change the dressing on my PICC line – she called at 7:15 saying that she had just left and would be here in an hour! I won’t go into the details of THAT phone call – suffice to say that the woman is needs a big lesson in customer service ( she complained to me that she would have had to get up too early to get here by 7:30…hello! I'm the one who had BRAIN surgery - don't complain to me about inconveniences!) After a conversation with the owner of the IV company, I now have a new nursing company assigned – and a nurse is supposed to be here tomorrow morning to do the blood and dressing. Let’s hope…

After the morning nursing fiasco, I ventured off to my first appointment with the facial therapist and it was GREAT! I have five (5, count ‘em) pages of facial therapy exercises. There are quite a few I can’t do yet because I don’t have any muscle control, but there are a bunch that are designed to stimulate the nerve and I can do all of them. SO, I have my 3 times daily regimen! I am very excited about this! Finally, it feels like I am in control of something around here – yahoo!

I can’t believe it’s already been five weeks since surgery – wow! I expected to be feeling better by now, but I guess I am actually doing very well considering the infection setback. I've convinced Willie that it is okay for him to go racing next weekend - it is the big 12-hour race in Summit Point that they do every year. I'm glad he's finally agreed to go - he needs a break from all the sick people in his life. As for me, I plan to eat bon-bons and watch movies all weekend!! I am, after all, the Queen or Princess of the PICC!

More later…

No comments:

Post a Comment