Tuesday, June 24, 2008

PICC-less in New Jersey...

Starring ... Moi!

Yesterday, Willie and I made the trek into NYC (again) to see Dr. Roland. Armed with my usual list of questions, I fired away while Dr. R wrestled the spitting sutures from my head. Interesting to note that said sutures are actually the disolvable kind meaning that my body should have just intergrated them. However, the old noggin decided that it really didn't like the knots in the disolvable suture, so it sent them packing. I am happy to say that the process of getting them out was quite simple - probalby because most of my head is still pretty numb.

While he was working, I mentioned that I had a big old scab still on one part of the incision - he chuckled in that special way of surgeons and said "not anymore!" He apparently yanked it right off. Eeek.

De-suturing accomplished, he asked if I was ready to be de-picced. I must say that, in spite of my fears about this process, it was easy and was over before I even knew it. And, Willie stayed in the room and didn't pass out (although he did say the line was vvveeerrryyy long as it was coming out...) I now have a very small dressing on my arm where the line went it that I have to keep dry for a couple of days, but otherwise I am as good as new! yahoo!

I'll see Dr. R again in a month to check on facial progress. He is optimistic that I may get my blink back by then - let's hope he's right! He said that getting the ability to produce tears will take longer, so I will have to continue drops for quite awhile. That's okay, though - I'm getting pretty used to not really being able to see out of my right eye. (Stay off the roads, people!)

We met Kura for dinner last night after the de-piccing and had a lovely dinner at an Italian wine bar. Towards the end, it got very noisy in the restaurant but otherwise it was really enjoyable. Always great to see Kura! I was, however, completely exhausted by the time dinner was over and it was an effort to walk the 10 blocks or so back to the car. Worth every minute, though!

I'll be seeing Dr. Louie in a couple of weeks for the final release for the infection. Let's hope it is gone for good!

I enjoyed my first Glad Press 'n' Seal - free shower this morning! It was bliss not to have to wrap myself in sticky plastic wrap and hold my right arm up in the air while showering - I feel like a queen! (Oh, how little it takes these days...)

Well, that's the breaking news from NJ...

2 comments:

  1. ouch! and OUCH again!!! he yanked it off!?!?!? Savage. :)

    What was the vino you had again?

    Glad you're PICC-less, HRH Debbi.

    Ciao, Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from ANAUSA.ORG. Eric is my son and had a huge tumor taken out last year almost to the day. Just checking out your site. Hope you are doing well. Just wanted to say your collie looks like ours. She is a tri color too. She is really old and we don't know how much time she has left. Just wanted to say hi. Your collie is gorgeous. I love collies.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete