Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oh the Pain...



Okay, well first, let's talk about the weekend. Thanksgiving was a success with the requisite amount of noise and food. Aunt Rose came through with the pastries from the Italian bakery in Queens which made everyone smile even more. What's not to love about a fresh canolli!?




Willie and I left Friday morning and had a splendid weekend at the Westbrook B & B in Westbrook, CT. Perfect weather Friday and Saturday so we did some wandering along the shore and at Old Mystic Seaport. Also managed to eat a lot of oysters and clams and some great fresh seafood. Bliss! Drive home on Sunday started with freezing rain, so it was fairly long and not much fun.




And, with bad weather comes more facial pain for moi. Sunday night was pretty bad and then Monday it reached an unbearable level. The worst pain I've ever experienced - radiating in both upper and lower jaw, cheek, temple and down my neck - all on the right side only. At one point I was curled up in a ball trying to breath my way through the pain.




I called my dentist to see if I could get in to see him, wanting to rule out anything like a bad tooth (even though I just had them all checked two months ago.) Contacted Dr. Roland this morning who asked that I have the dentist check for TMJ. Saw Dr. Ward, the dentist this morning and he says my symptoms fit either TMJ or Trigeminal Neuralgia (fancy word for nerve pain - duh!) We're going to hope for TMJ and start with the least invasive treatments (it's not curable, neither is TN).




So, I have been fitted for a new bite guard which should be here in a week. To help with the pain, I am on a prescription anti-inflammatory with a narcotic pain killer. I am supposed to limit talking and chewing anything tough or chewy - in other words, rest the jaw as much as possible. It this is TMJ, I should see some relief within a week or so of the new bite plate. Next steps are physical therapy and possibly surgery. One step at a time. Of course, this was all triggered by the surgery, so the Acoustic Neuroma is truly the gift that keeps giving.




At least I have a diagnosis in sight, so I can now become an expert on TMJ (with a minor in Trigemenal Neuralgia, just in case!) I see Dr. Roland again on the 22nd, which is good timing in terms of knowing whether this is TMJ.




Good grief, does this ever get any easier???!!! Well, looking on the bright side, it's the holiday season which is my most favorite time of year!




5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about that Debbi. LEts hope for TMJ. My wife was suspected with it, and had some really bad pain like that for a few months. Then it just vanished. Just as quickly as it came on. Weird! Personally, I hope it's neither! All the best
    Ciao, Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot, really nice looking place that port! :0 and I like the voodoo turkey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, silly of us to take a picture of the turkey while it was still raw - most unappetizing! Next year perhaps I will remember to take a picture when it comes off the grill and browned and lovely!

    Very encouraging that your wife's TMJ cleared up - I will hope to be so lucky. In the meantime, thank God for drugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the pain - I had never thought about it that way but AN's truly are something that keeps on giving!! Hope relief is in sight!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbi,
    I had TMJ for years...used mouth guard, therapy, etc. Had days that I ate lunch threw a straw when my jaw would dislocate and lock. So painful that it caused neck and back pain which I went for a spinal epidural for pain relief at one point. Do know that it does get better. Use lots of heat or ice whichever feels best, drugs for inflammation, rest, mouth guard, etc. This too shall pass. TMJ usually isn't constant....just flare ups from time to time. I'm sure that your bite is off with the change in your face from paralysis. I know mine is. Maybe this along with grinding your teeth at night from i.e. stress has triggered an episode. TMJ caused me to have severe headaches, backaches, jaw and neck pain. I remember lying down on the clinic floor because it hurt to sit up in the waiting room chair when I went for the epidural. You wouldn't think the TMJ could affect so many muscles and joints but it does. Take care.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete