Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Just in Time for Christmas






My little twin is definitely being beaten into submission by the antibiotics - thank goodness! Still can't get my mouth open all the way, but am doing fine with small bites and flat foods.

The weekend was great - we decided not to chop down the tree this year. I realized that tromping though muddy, bumpy terrain in search of the tree was about as close to a guarantee of falling as I could get, so opted for a the local tree-lot instead. Good move, as my balance has been terrible for the last few weeks - much worse than usual. I could just see myself laying in the mud on my back - rather like a beetle with arms and legs flailing in the air. And, of course, my friend Peggy would have been right there with her camera. No on needs that!

So, the tree was bagged and home we came to sip on mulled wine while hanging the lights and ornaments. As you can see, the tree came out beautiful! Phoebe has taken up residence beneath it, our little calico gift. Of course, she also likes to shred paper, so any gifts under the tree are fair-game to her. Willie rotisseried two chickens wich were the perfect accompaniment for the Chilean cabernet, which was splendid!

For those wanting to know, TMJD is Temporo-Mandibular Joint Disorder. And, yes, the consensus is that I have it. It would cause the pain in my jaw joint as well as the neck and right-side head pain (running up through my temple). It's really not that easy to treat, but the dental nite guard (which I am now scheduled to get Thursday morning) may help. Also, my ENT suggested that chiropractic may help. So, once I get the clearance from Dr. Roland, who I see on Monday, I'll make an appointment with a bone cruncher (aka chiropractor). Meanwhile, Advil helps the constant ache as do warm compresses. I've been in a low level of pain since surgery, so I am kind of used to it. Which doesn't mean I would not like to see it gone for good! Well, at least I have a plan, which always makes me feel better.

I had an interesting conversation with a couple of my girl friends this weekend about the whole issue of my face and not feeling sometimes like anyone wanted to acknowledge it. It was a good conversation and I also think it helped them to understand better how I feel and what I need. Very cathartic. I must say that I still go through big emotional ups and downs. Some days I feel very optimistic and other days I feel lower than low. This too shall pass, though, I am sure.

Well, off to make some money...

8 comments:

  1. Oh My GOODNESS! You truly look great in the picture with Willie - I wasn't even sure it was you! And really, you know I would be honest...I don't ever tell someone they look good unless I REALLY mean it!! Don't you think sunnies always make faces with "issues" always look better? I was looking in the mirror in the car today & thought, "I don't look 1/2 bad in my sunnies!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the sunnies give us a "glam" look which distracts from anything else! Actually, my smile looks very good now - it is when I am talking that you can really see the lack of lip movement. I think that my check muscle is pulling everything up when I smile - and I'm not complaining about that! I still can't spit water though - I just dribble it. And, I still dribble food sometimes too because I just can't get my lips to stay together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind the dribble, I do that and I don't have facial issues! Slight numbness but that's it. For me, it happens when I'm tired, then eating becomes a baby-like state. I should design a bib for adults, dribble proof clothing. New venture? AN fashion.

    THe smile looks 100%, brilliant.

    As for the ups and downs, those were some of the worst things to deal with all the time during recovery. Eventually I just solved it by forgetting the past and the old me. Had to make a conscious effort to do that. Helped my poor frazzled brain deal with it. I guess I had it easier than most though, I never looked different, I just had the emotional scarring to deal with with no visual reminder.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  4. In some ways, Lorenzo, that is even more difficult. You look fine so everyone assumes that you ARE fine. And, boy, do we ever know how wrong, wrong, wrong that can be! So much of what we deal with is below the surface - it is the way the world sounds now, it is the way you sometimes feel you will topple over, it is the odd numb sensations on your face and head ... and a myriad of other invisible daily reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you topple, we'll wipe your chin. If you dribble, we'll pick you up. If you're numb, we'll feel your pain....We might not always know what you need or when, but we'll always be by your side to help however we can.

    Love you always,
    14 Legs

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the weirdest thing to look normal and not feeling like normal, whatever normal is. Of course, the realisation that my normal is not everybody else's perception of what my normal should be helped me understand it all and accept it all too. (if you know what I mean) Of course, life has changed along with my 'me' and most can't see that. That does make it difficult to explain to others. In the end, I stopped explaining and just tell them that's the way things are, and if they accept it, fine. If not, that's their problem. I refused to let the past that is now well and trully gone impact on my 'now'.

    Actually, I'm just happy to be here, have lived through this, still getting on with it, and having a great ould life doing more than I ahe for years. The old me? Good riddance.

    I'm rambling...

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, all. And special thanks to 14 Legs - me wonderful husband, going incognito on the web...

    ReplyDelete
  8. right. More importantly, why 14? and I like his notion of 'help'! lol

    ReplyDelete