Friday, December 12, 2008

Ah, Relief in Sight

Ah, the twin is on the run. It is now down to a mere pea-size and the swelling in my jaw is gone. I can also open my jaw slightly more than a half inch now, which still doesn't get me a chair at the diner, but it's something...

Saw the wonderful Dr. Galleos this morning and he confirmed that it is an abscess of one of my lymph nodes, need to stay on antibiotics another week, warm compresses, etc. He thinks the jaw issue is part of the abscess and should go away in the next week. He also leans towards me having TMJ and suggests seeing a chiropractor after I get my nite guard (assuming I can ever open my jaw enough to get the damned thing in there!)

This is the first time I've seen Dr. Galleos since that fateful day in early March when he told me I had an acoustic neuroma, so he was quite interested to hear how I was doing. He immediately noticed my facial issues, but went on to comment that I was in much better shape at this point than he would have expected. He was very encouraging. I'll see him in a few months for my annual hearing test.

So after the doctor, I ran to the grocery store to get some food and had a first. The girl who was checking me out said - "I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you have a stroke or something? Your face looks different." She's been at this grocery store for years and has obviously seen me before. I can't begin to describe the feeling I got when she asked me this - I could have jumped over the counter and hugged her! You see, I know I don't look quite right and I so often wish people would just ask rather than wonder - only no one ever asks because they don't want to be rude. And, of course, all my friends tell me I look great, which is nice to hear but is more a reflection of love than reality. And, I look at myself in the mirror so often that I don't know what I see anymore. Anyway, she was so kind and she now owns a special place in my heart. Which probably doesn't make a lot of sense to most people...

I'm on Advil today which seems to working so far. That means, let there be WINE tomorrow!! Lorenzo, we're opening a bottle of Chilean Cabernet that we bought 5 years ago and have been cellaring. We bought six bottles and have been anxious to try one now that it's been adequately aged. I'll let you all know how it is! Oh, and BTW, Lorenzo - I'll have you know that my mom reads my blog so that she can read your comments!

6 comments:

  1. She does? Have I said something that might upset her? Have I been rude? Silly? Disrespectful? Sorry, mother. didn't mean to. :)

    So, that girl on the check out. I know EXACTLY how you feel. Only one person ever asked me how I was, a friend that is rather in tune with people with brain issues, and she meant it. NoBODY else ever did. 'I'm fine, you look great, you're just like you always were, looking at you one would never think...' blah blah blah. Ya, right. Thing is, I DON'T feel like myself, or the way I used to. So, being asked and commented on is like an acknowledgment of what's been going on. Anybody that is curious enough to ask and doesn't ignore it or gloss over it has a special place in my heart / head. That is why my other AN friends are just what they are, the best friends I can count on.

    End of expose. I did have a half bottle of prosecco, as an excuse.

    Hic,

    Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always told my students that if they were curious about something (i.e. the way someone looked) they should ask what happened instead of staring - I would MUCH prefer this (sounds like you would too). I said that most people would tell them - I try to do it in an age appropriate way. I would always tell the parents at Parents' Night that I had done this so that they wouldn't be horrified if their child said something to someone on an elevator. I would always start by saying, "You might disagree with me but I've told your children..." Until you've been the object of all the stares, you don't understand...

    Glad to hear you're on the mend...boy, aren't you glad you didn't have to have another PICC line??

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. So? How was the bottle? If I may ask this in the presence of your mother...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorenzo and Kay - trust both of you to completely understand how I felt at the store. I came home with such a bittersweet feeling after that experience. I think that your friends sometimes get so used to your "new" self that they forget to ask how YOU are doing. Well, thank you both.

    Lorenzo, my mom things you are a "hoot" which is a big complement!

    The wine is tonight, and I will tosst both of you whilst drinking a glass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you are feeling good enough for the Chilean...how was it?! I, too, like the acknowlegment Lorenzo speaks of - it gives me the chance to explain my slowness and speech impedement. And to Kay: It's great that the other people who help form our kids have a broad perspective, and you bring a wider and wiser one.
    Debbi - what is TMJ? Is this the most treatable of all possibilities? I'm sorry to hear you're battling another acronym, but it sounds like it's improving!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trans-Mandibular Joint, I think. Pain that shoots down your jaw when moving it, any movement. Debbi can explain better of course, I never had it. Thankfully! How is that going Debbi?

    The entire experience was an eye opening one, a lesson in human behaviour, a revelation in my own strength, and a character changing ordeal. So much came out of this, mostly good, that at times I am glad I had this! It got me closer to some people, removed others and gave me a lot of new friends, my AN friends, or Tumour Friends as I call you all. Weird, I know. lol

    I used to play with people that asked me how I was but didn't really want to know. I went into great detail, excruciatingly detailed list of problems. I could turn them off asking me ever again. Most didn't. LOL Was fun looking at their faces as I described it all. :) People just don't talk about illness here, so this was just a broken taboo too far for most! LOL

    A hoot, really. :)

    ReplyDelete