Sunday, May 11, 2008

Today was a Mother...

Mother's Day ...

I woke up totally exhausted this morning (yep, that would be the much-discussed fatigue everyone talks about post brain surgery...)

Had tea with my parents before they took off to run some errands; then asked Willie to take me "on the road!" I very carefully went up and down our road a couple of times before venturing out onto Rt. 206 for a quick jaunt. All highway lines stayed in focus and I felt cautiously confident. I even managed to park directly between the lines at the local mini-mall - a big event! I am not ready for much more that a quick trip at this point - still have some problems if I turn my head too fast; and the dry eye is very distracting. However, if I need to run somewhere local, I am good to go! So. that was today's milestone.

Willie decided to host the Moms for a late lunch/early dinner today - so he set about preparing a rotisseried chicken, baked acorn squash, sauteed mushrooms and a plentiful green salad with fruits and nuts. Dad served as his sous chef and I must say that the men-folk did a wonderful job! Mom, Willie's mom, Loretta and I enjoyed a wonderful meal - and I allowed myself to be waited on hand and food (no easy task for me!)

Had to take two naps today, however, because I was just so tired. Although I know fatique is part of the whole recovery process, it is quite daunting to have such a total lack of energy. My mind wants to do all these things, but my body just isn't willing. I had hoped to go visit Phil (father in law) in rehab today, but just couldn't have managed it. Sigh.

I am easing back into work tomorrow, only an hour or so. It will be good to feel as if I am returning to some sort of normal activity, even if it is very limited. I also hope to be able to get out and walk a bit tomorrow if the weather isn't rainy. Goals, gotta have goals!

And speaking of goals, yesterday I took two little walks and had company for about an hour (Kura, Lynn and Karen made the trip out from the city - wonderful medicine for me!)

More later...

1 comment:

  1. Debbi,
    You are a hard shoe to fill in Orlando as I proclaimed publicly my admiration and gratitude to my mentor amongst a room of @70 people. Did my best anyway with my partner (it takes 2 to do your job not so well!?!). You are terribly missed there.

    Back to work already? Take it easy my friend.

    Pandora

    ReplyDelete