Friday, May 16, 2008

I Sprung a Leak!!

Well, just when you think things are looking up...

I ventured out to a local restaurant with mom, dad and Willie last night and had a great time (no stares, no embarrassing food moments - all around great!)

As usual, Willie and I retired to watch a little mindless TV when I put my had to my head and ... it came away wet! Panic!!!! Willie rushed into action, while I lay curled in a pathetic ball in bed - he cleaned up the incision, which was leaking, called the 24 hour nursing hotline at Aetna, then called our favorite neurotologist, Dr. Roland. The Doc called us back withing 5 minutes (and this was at nearly 10 last night), asked a bunch of questions, which Willile adeptly fielded, and asked Willie to bring me in this morning.

So, we made the 2 hour trip into NYC in the pouring rain this morning and were met promptly by Dr. Roland (who is a hero in my book). He deduced that I was leaking some fluids and possibly some of the fat (damn, I knew that fat should've stayed in my belly where it belonged!) Anyway, NOT a CSF leak, which was the good news!

He cleaned it all up and them put some stiches back in, along with another glorious pressure bandage. I am to keep the bonnet on until Sunday, then off it comes - and back to NYU next Friday to get this batch of stitches out. Meantime, I am on a course of antibiotics to stave off infection.The incision site is pretty painful now (enough to drag out the percoset again for the night, I think). Guess all that tinkering around aggravated it. However, as bumps in the road to recovery go, this isn't that bad, isn it? Still consider myself one lucky gal.

Doc told me to take it very easy for the next couple of days, then resume "normal" activity. So, I took that to heart and spent the afternoon napping in bed.

But, do you want to hear the BEST news??? He said that he is already seeing some small signs of improvement in my face - small, but definite! I was so thrilled to hear this that I actually managed to close my bad eye (yes, I was going for a wink, but didn't quite work out!) I was feeling giddy when we left. So much so, in fact, that I wrapped a scarf around my bonnet and insisted that Willie take me to a diner for a quick meal. I am sure I looked like some kind of festive escapee from an institution - wild scarf, staring eye (that occasionally closes) and lopsided smirk - accompanied by my gallant knight Willie!

So, that's my story for today... and I'm sticking with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment