Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 5 Post Op

Still hard to believe that I had brain surgery a mere 5 days ago! I slept about 10 hours last night, which was bliss. Managed another shower this morning, assisted by Willie, of course. More of the hair goo is gone - this has become my mission!

More success with cereal this morning too - isn't amazing how the littlest things feel like big victories! My appetite is coming back, which also great. I've been munching on dried fruit during the day - seems that the only things that really appeal to me are very healthy stuff - guess my body knows what it is doing.

My big highlight for today was going out into the driveway and onto the patio. Sat out and enjoyed the sun for awhile with my mom - very therepeutic. The driveway is very sloped, so I had to go verrrryyy slowly so as not to fall over - I'm sure I look like someone who has had way too much to drink at times!

One of my surgeons called to check in on me this morning - seems they are pleased with the progress, but he also took care to remind me that I need to heel. He scheduled me to come into NYU this Friday to have my sutures on my head and belly removed - yay!!! He'll also do an assessment on my facial nerve, too. He told me again that the nerve monitors they had attached to me during surgery were constantly testing that nerve and that it does not have permanent damage - my particular case will just be a matter of time and patience (which you know I'm not that good at!)

I'll be seeing the other surgeon the first week of June for another assessment and follow up. Looks like I'll be having regular follow up with this team for about 5 more years; at a minimum this will be annual brain MRIs. As long as they have the valium, I'll stick my head in that dreaded machine!

Made and received several phone calls today - very nice talking to people. Also nice to hear that my ability to speak clearly has not been impacted by the palsy - yay!!

Hey Tom and Claire - very funny about the escargot! Yes, wouldn't that be a fright?? (Not to mention a huge waste.) However, I'll take you up on it when I can fully enjoy the experience. And, Tammie - yes, sushi will be great just as soon as I can master this whole chewing thing a bit better.

Thanks again for all the support and good wishes (and offers of food!)

Debbi

2 comments:

  1. Just got back from Houston (am using Dave's laptop while I do an IV) -- that is a whole 'nother story! Anyway, I am glad to hear you are doing so well! Keep up the good work!!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration to all of us! Many of us are talking about that here in Orlando - you are our favorite rock star!!

    We miss you, but take it easy, girl.

    Major league hugs -
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete