Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Another Day in Post Acoustic Neuroma Paradise...

It is amazing how much better I feel now - I think just having a reason for the fatigue (yea, because brain surgery wasn't good enough!) made a big difference in my attitude.

I've continued with about an hour of client coaching a day, which seems to be the right pace for me. Yesterday I succumbed to the nap again, but today I managed to power through (which I may pay for tomorrow... but what the hell!)

Yesterday I did my first post-surgical gardening - planted the basil and rosemary plants that Kura brought this weekend - boy, that felt good! I had to sit down next to the pots, becasue bending over is so NOT a good idea, but it worked well. It is very weird to be moving so slowly, but I am kind of getting used to paying attention to the limits that my body is imposing.

I really am so fortunate that my balance has come back so well. The only time I really feel precarious is if I get up too suddenly, turn too fast, or when I get up at night (the combination of eye patch and a dark room is very disorienting.)

I talked to Hope yesterday - she had surgery about 3 1/2 weeks before me, so she is a great example . We compared notes on the whole facial thing - lopsided smile, eye that won't tear, etc. It was good to talk to someone who knows exactly what it feels like. She also gave me a tip on a different eye drop, so I dispatched Mom and Dad to Wal-Mart today in search of the new elixir (and I like it!)

I went out for my first solo walk today - didn't get real far, but I felt good! I had the trusty collie with me, not that she provides any level of protection, but hey....

I am trying to make sure I challenge myself at least a little each day. I also sat out on the patio for quite awhile today, listening to various noises and trying to tell where the hell they were coming from. I haven't decided how I feel about SSD yet - really soon to tell. Right now, I am just trying to take some time to process each new sensation without judging it. I am almost ready to try a more challenging dining out experience - I kind of want to test the ambient noise thing a little more now. I'm feeling quite a bit of anxiety about that, so I figure the best thing is to just put myself out there - face down the fear!!

I am feeling very at pease with things today - it's a good day!

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment