Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day



Friday morning, the hospital "limo" service arrived with a bed to take me to radiology to have my PICC line installed - unpleasant doesn't really describe it. I hope that I never have to have this done again - but if I do, I may ask to be knocked out first. I was throroughly unnerved!


All the interns, residents, plus Drs. Roland and Louie (infectious diseases) visited me during the day. Because they were unable to grow a good sample from the culture, they will continue to treat me with a broad spectrum antibiotic. I'll need twice a day IVs for at least two weeks, then we'll see.


I was finally released from NYU at about 7 PM on Friday(after they administered my second dose of antibiotics) - made it home by 8:30 and crashed! Saturday at about 7:30 AM, the Visiting Nurse (Lea) arrived to show us how the PICC line works. It was surprisingly easy and painless (whew!) I spent much of Saturday sleeping - I was VERy tired. Turns out that the antibiotics also make you tired - because fatigue wasn't a big enough challenge already!


Yesterday my friend Ellen came up from Princeton for a visit, which was great. Unfortunately, I was totally exhausted after hours and had to lay down and sleep (I'm not much fun these days!). Last night, I wanted to try to tackle the IV by myself, so I got my sterile area all set up and set to work. The hardest part is that the "nozzle) is located at the inside of my elbow on my right arm (and I am right handed), so I have to try to unscrew it using my left hand only. I find that if I get it wedged between two fingers I can then use one other finger and the thumb to unscrew it. Awkward, but it works. Anyway, I did my morning IV all by myelf (oh, aren't I a Big Girl now!).


I am also becoming adept at wrapping my right arm in platic wrap and taping up the ends in order to shower. Actually, I am sure I am quite a site - eye patched shut, arm wrapped up, big black and blue incision on my stomach.... wow, what a hottie.


This morning, I got Willie to drive with me to Lowe's (I drove, bleary eye and all - Willie tried to remain calm in the passenger's seat) so that I could buy several flats of flowers to plant. I picked out my flowers, and off we went. Even made a hot-lap through the grocery story (talk about sensory overload - yikes!) I spent about an hour outside planting - good for the soul. It's a beautiful day, so perfect to dig in the dirt.


My eye is driving me crazy - seems that I have to put drops in at about every 10 minutes. Really a nuisance I'm freaked about driving more than 15 minutes, because my eye gets so scratchy.


But, the GOOD news is that I now have a small twitch below my right eye - and I can totally control it, which means that it is the very first bit of muscle movement on that side of my face. The doctor had told me that the central part of my face (cheek area) will be the first to come back - eye and mouth last. Anyway, it is a small step forward!


So, for those who want to see the "lemon/hand grenade antibiotic dispenseer, here's the the photos: (Dont' worry, nothing gross at all!)


1 comment:

  1. Deb,
    You are an inspiration! Keep fighting, keep smiling..:) Big hug coming your way!!!

    ReplyDelete