Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Edamame Bean That Got Me

Working Title: The Bite Heard 'Round The World"...

So I found myself being very tired today. And, some of you know what happens when I get very tired ... yep, I stumble around more and I lose what little control of my lip that I normally have. It isn't pretty. I flatter myself to think that it's pretty funny, though - hence the post tonight.

Today I had lunch with my dear friend, Claire. Knowing that my mouth wasn't in top form, I wisely stayed away from pasta or anything with sauce. I ordered a nice safe piece of salmon, "sauce on the side, please." So far, so good. Things were actually going along splendidly when suddenly, out of frigging no-where, a piece of yellow squash flew out of my mouth, bounced off my lap and landed on the floor. I quickly stole a glance at Claire - yep, she saw the whole thing. I had a fast decision to make - pretend like it hadn't happened, or go ahead and laugh. Ah, what the hell - I chose laughter. Pretty soon we were both laughing. We needed it.

Then tonight, the Great Edamame Attack occurred. Drum roll, please. I made a healthy dinner of bulgur wheat (hey, Jen, you reading this?) with tomatoes, onions, lemon, olive oil and lots of fresh chopped herbs ... and Edamame Beans. (Scary music plays in the background.) Willie and I sat down to the dining table to share out days with each other and enjoy the healthy and sumptous feast I had prepared. Again, things were progressing nicely when suddenly an edamame bean jumped out of my mouth, hit my chin and landed back on my plate. Willie, of course, witnessed the whole thing. This time there wasn't even a pause - the laughter just started immediately.

I decided not to try my luck with anything else. The safest move at this point is to remove myself from the vicinity of the kitchen and retreat to the bedroom. G'night folks!

5 comments:

  1. Bouncing beans; funny beans you guys have over there! Thanks for hte laughs!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Lorenzo - loving the pictures from Austria and wish Willie and I were with you guys over there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! They have giant kidney beans here, called Kafer (beetle) beans. :) Those would drop with a clunk! You'd love it here, very foodie place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello there! i was searching around the AN forum & found your blog (i am a blogger & have become drawn to AN blogs since my diagnosis on june 10th). thanks for putting all this out there. i am scheduled for a surgery on july 28 & am nervous/anxious/etc about it. normal stuff... but its good to read that there is life after the surgery.
    -heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Heidi - welcome! Sorry to hear about the diagnosis - and waiting for surgery is so nerve-wracking isn't it? Have you been to the anausa.org patient's forum? It got me through a lot of very scary days last year. Give a shout if you want to chat on the phone - I'm happy to share any/all experiences with you. be well!

    ReplyDelete