Friday, June 5, 2009

And just Like That...

The Jihad is over. Cats ... who can figure 'em out? Yesterday morning when I woke up, Rocket was settled ON (rather than under) the sitting room chair, laying on a pile of decorative pillows like some sort of hairy pasha. And, although both cats were a little nervous and "skitzy" yesterday (a few minor growling/hissing moments and a few instances of "puffage" on the part of Phoebe) but definitely the full-blown Jihad is over. For now.

I grew up with dogs, who are quite predictable and live to please. I got my first cat when I was 17 (and yes, as soon as I left home, my parents inherited him.) I went on to have three other cats before that fateful day 7 years ago when I brought Rocket home. He was a "free" kitten, one of three. Not quite sure why I ended up with him in my car that day. Fate, I suppose. He's turned out to be the most difficult, temperamental cat I've ever been around - and I love him to bits. He was so tiny that he fit in the palm of my hand when I brought him home. The adult cat I had at the time (now sadly in cat-heaven) hated him on site, and that never changed.

Rocket attacked the vet when he weighed about 2.5 pounds, leaving a gash on her. That's when I started to realize that he had anger management issues - hell, he had a lot of "issues." He's gotten a bit mellower with age, but he is still ruled by his inner demons, poor little guy. So, occasionally he gets obsessed with spots on the carpet, or thinks that something is out to get him. It always blows over, so we just wait it out. And, I always think that Destiny brought him to us, because who else would put up with him?

The worst fit was when we brought Phoebe home - she was a very small six-month old cat, docile and sweet and terrified (she'd been abandoned on a roadside at 2 months, then lived in a shelter for the next 4). She immediately took up residence in the bathroom closet. Rocket was shocked, horrified and ready to pack his bags. We had a little over a week of hissing, growling, hiding and generally apalling behavior. Eventually, they became good friends and good companions. Notwithstanding the occasional Jihad.

You might wonder what our collie, Carrie, thinks of all this? She is the quintessential peace-nik. If she could talk, I know she'd say "can't we all just get along." She lives in fear of Rocket (who has been known to chase her, and not in a playful way) but rather likes Phoebe. Okay, let me be honest, we think she may have an inter-species crush on Phoebe, but we're not going to discuss that here!

As I sit in my office each day, Carrie naps (sometimes snoring rather loudly) on her bed a few feet from my desk, while the cats can usually be found napping on one of the file cabinets. There is something strangely calming about all of this.

6 comments:

  1. Cats: hours of entertainment, lots of topics for chats, endless supply of laughter, extreme irritation and the occasional boot in the derriere, but, but, what's there NOT to like! They are hilarious. Our guy used to rule the house and me. He also ruled they neighbourhood, he was a terror. A few furless cats can testify to that, they lost their coat when they got into a spat with him. Not a chance; shredding comes to mind. But at home, he was a big kitten. Then he vanished, free spirit that he was. :) No doubt having spats in cat heaven. I'm surprised they didn't send him back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Understand totally. We are nursing our cats eye after he attacked a pigeon. The bird was not impressed and just about clawed our cats eye out. My husband had to go out and stop the fight as neither one was giving in and calling truce. Never a dull moment.
    Angie
    (tiny bit of background.....we are severly allergic to cats and this homeless cat chose us as his adoptive parents 1 year ago. So we are on allergy shots and she nows rules the roost. She was skin and bones when she came to us with a broken and 1/2 chopped off tail. She instantly let us know that she was NOT going to eat the cheap shit that we tried to feed her and would only eat the expensive name brand stuff. After all.......she now had a home. Her name is Jackie Tails (jacked up tail)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They know... I tell you, they know EXACTLY where to go to get a handy number home. They also KNOW who can't have a ct, and they always makes sure they go there. Our guy was tiny and sick, chose my wife who hated cats. lol He also always made sure to land on laps of people that were either terrified or allergic to cats, just like my SIL! Oh what fun... Fortunately she doesn't have an allergy, just fear. hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats are the original (and true psychics, that's for certain. If we have 10 people here, the cats will find the only one with cat allergies and want to be right on top of that person.

    Rocket (who does have a bit of the devil in him) goes straight for my MIL, jumps up on her chair, and than growls ferociously at her. And, she's a really great woman, big dog lover, not so much of a cat person. He just knows...

    When we first brought Phoebe home she chose to make her social debut at our holiday dinner where she leapt straight onto the dinner plate of one of our guests. Imagine that - Holiday Ham, sweet potato whip ... and calico cat! At least it was color coordinated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rocket sounds like a handful and a barrel of fun all at once. I feel like I know him now.

    By the way, I would like to work in that office with all of the animals around. Apparently, part of the feng shui philosophy is to have other living things around to increase the circulation of energy...it sounds like you have that aspect of your feng shui in order!

    ReplyDelete