Friday, June 19, 2009

Taking Stock

Well, another week has flown past and it is nearly 14 months since the Big Brain Tumor Extraction, aka Boogerectomy. Wow, where has the time gone?

I must say that I feel good. Sure, I am still deaf in one ear, and have an eye that's lost its ability to tear, and I stumble sometimes, but I am GOOD. Have I made some necessary adjustments in the last year and 2 months? You bet. But we humans are adaptable creatures, aren't we? I know that my life post brain surgery is forever changed, which doesn't mean worse ... just different. And, sometimes different is funny, for example...

Luckily for me, Willie doesn't like to dance. Imagine if I had to deprive him of twirling be about the dance floor? But, Willie hates to dance and so this whole crappy balance thing has worked out great. I confine my dancing to places where I won't be seen, like the living room. And, just to be safe, I wear bubble wrap.

And, how about the entertainment value of tipping over in my garden? That's hard to beat, isn't it? Seriously, it's funny when you allow yourself to relax and see the humor. When I fell over in the mulch a few weeks ago, I was laughing so hard I was afraid I'd alarm the neighbors.

And, sometimes just to screw with people (in a nice way) I let my right eye just stay open and stare at them. C'mon, admit it - you wish you could do that, don't you?

Okay, how about when I was at Marshall's last weekend with my friends Kura and Peggy and I heard my name. I twirled around twice in the aisle trying to establish where the voice was coming from. It was Peggy and we both cracked up.

And, the other night when I woke Willie up at 3 in the morning because I couldn't identify the noise I was hearing (turned out to be torrential rain) and was worried that something was wrong with the house.

You have to find the humor. Most days, I don't have to look very far to find it. So, any stories you'd like to share in this vein??

5 comments:

  1. How about the ability to ignore people? isn't that rgeat! We have the best excuse ever! :)

    Or, I fall over in the garden too and landed rear end first into my tenderly cared for patch of lettuces. Flattened isn't the word, I reverted them back to their seedling stage.

    Or, falling asleep anywhere at any time without much control. Ok I don't have that problem now, but in the past I slept in book shops, dentist chair, MRI, car while driving, restaurant tables, college while teaching, meetings (who wouldn't), and even an interview about my Personal Development Plan. that's something! LOL

    C'mon, this AN has to be the funniest thing at times! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I fogot to mention spelling, balme the AN! It's greta!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I finally have something to blame the spelling on - good point, Lorenzo!

    HaHa - I can't believe you fell asleep in an interview! I can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, NOBODY beats that one! I must say for my defense that a) the HOD was very undertsanding, and b) it was one of my micro-sleeps, literally about 15 seconds. I think she woke me up caughing. LOL funny, she was more embarrassed about it than me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Goodness - I can't even tell you the things that I have laughed at over myself - it happens daily. My most recent was Sunday when i was driving to get Kendie - I had told Dave i would get some sunflower seeds b/c that is what I used to do in college to keep me awake while driving. I got some, put an amount in my mouth like I used to...obviously I hadn't chewed sunny seeds since 1/2 of my face/mouth stopped working - it was like, "what do I do now?" Since only part of my mouth worked and it was full of seeds, I just sat there (driving) - well, that was after I about choked since I TRIED to do it like I used to. I wound up spitting the WHOLE mouthful out and starting over with just a few at a time...I'm still laughing about it! :o)

    ReplyDelete