Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Here's Lookin' at You

So, yesterday I had an interesting experience. To back up a bit, I was able to quit wearing my BlinkEze eye weight late last year because my eye was blinking on its own. Good news! What I guess I didn't realize is that it doesn't always blink - sometimes it just stares back at you while the other eye blinks. Creepy.

And, how did I discover this? Well, as I was driving back from a meeting yesterday, my eye was feeling scratchy and I was debating whether I should pull over to put drops in (having promised Willie that I would no longer put drops in my eye at 65 MPH on the highway - even though I am very good at it!). So, I glanced in the car mirror and I must have blinked because I watched my "good" eye close while my AN eye just stared back at me. Freaked me out. Kind of amazing I didn't drive off the highway. I asked Willie about it last night and he casually informed me that, in fact, my AN eye doesn't always blink.

Great. So I've been blithely going around with an intermittently blinking eye. Now, of course, I am hyper-aware of it, and am consciously making my AN eye blink. Except when I forget...

7 comments:

  1. So you've been going around 'giving the eye' to people, and you didn't know; ha. Just imagine all the stories you gave those people, the conversations you supplied over drinks, etc. I think that could be funny! Why not play on it!! LOL Ok, sorry, bad taste. Do you need to put the weight back so the blinking will resume?

    But, more importantly, how exactly do you put in drops while speeding at 65mph? Video on YouTube please. You should be able to handle a camera as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can actually blink if I just think about it, I think the non-blinking happens mostly when I am tired. As for the drops at 65 MPH - I really did promise Willie that I wouldn't do that anymore (and I haven't!). But, that said, it's really pretty easy. After more than a year of frequent drops, I've become very adept at plunking them in my eye one-handed and sans mirror. Usually when I drive I just wait until I am at a light then quickly give myself a splash in the eye. I'm multi-talented, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had visions of you driving with your knees and fiddling with your eye. What a relief! Ok, Willie's right, better not do that. We all know you're multi-talented! :)

    Being tired causes things to get worse, like my facial numbness. Seems to be the way it is now. Hopefully though your eye thing will resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess it would therefore be wrong of me to mention that sometimes I point to my lower lip as an indication to you that you have something that needs to be wiped off yours for the sole purpose of distracting you just enough so I can take your bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and taking her bread of course is for her own good, as she won't be embarrassing herself further by eating it and leaving more crumbs on her lower lip... good strategy. Does that work for pizza too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbi,
    I am blinking now but not very strong. I went from a 1.2 external weight to a 0.6 gm. I can go without but when I get tired I put this teeny tiny weight on my lid and it is great. Might be an idea for you to just order this tiny one for days that you are not blinking as well. It was heaven getting this smaller weight. It is the width of a pencil eraser. I know you got rid of yours but if you order from Medev then it only cost $60 for the weight only and I can send you some stickies OR I still have my 1.2 gm if you want it although you sound alot like me in your blink and the 0.6 gm is sooooooo light but gives me that extra "umph" when I need it.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's too bad that you work with adults instead of teenagers. You could so put that "one eye blinking" thing to use to bring unruly 10th graders back into line. The trick with teenagers is to let them know you care and are nice but with just a hint of possiblity that you're only a half step away from lunacy... eyes that funtion outside the middle of the bell curve are good for this.

    ..take care... tim b

    ReplyDelete