Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Brainy - or Not?

Okay, so today I am going to have a bit of a rant. Why, you ask? Well, for starters, because it's my blog and I can rant if I want to, and for second, I need to get this off my chest!

A couple of weeks ago while Willie was planting some trees on our property line, the neighbor lady came out and was chatting with Willie. Preface: she and her husband moved in next door to us about 3 years ago, she came from Brooklyn, I think.) I mention this because she should be forgiven for not knowing a think about wild animals. I should also mention that she had (notice past tense?) three cats when they moved in (outdoor cats, from all evidence) - she now only has two. Stay with me here.

Anyway, she very proudly proclaimed to Willie that she puts all of their table scraps out in the yard every night to "feed the animals." WHAT??? Well, first of all, this explains how she now only has two cats, the third, no doubt, having been eaten by a wild animal who didn't like the table scraps but thought that cat would be tasty. Second, lady, are you freaking CRAZY? They are WILD animals, not pets. The cute racoons and fox and possums will rip your hand right off if you threaten them, never mind what they'll do to your cats. And, if you keep feeding them, they will become reliant on you and forget how to hunt. When you move on, who is going to feed them then?

We live in an area that has well publicized problems with the black bear population. In fact, we are not even supposed to have bird feeders out unless they are well out of bear-reach. And, this knucklehead is leaving out a buffet every night??? Amazingly, no bears have started frequenting our property, but one wonders how long that good fortune is destined to last? Apparently, she thinks it is cute and charming (although I suspect the cats disagree). I wanted to march right over and give her a basic lesson on wild animal etiquette (a little post brain tumor rage?) but Willie talked me off the ledge.

However, I am still not sure I am done with this (sorry, honey, I know you are reading this and cringing!) For starters, I may have to start returning the miscellaneous meat bones that find our way to our property to HER yard (in the dark of night of course, no sensing begging trouble!) I have to plot something better and more effective, though ... any ideas??? (You know I am kidding, right? I'm not really a psycho...really...)

7 comments:

  1. Why don't you suggest to her that the animals like eating from people's hands and tell her to be out there at night so she can feed them and watch? With some luck a bear passes and sees the Amble Thru snack. Her.

    That Psycho enough? :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA - that's so funny! And, you know, she's probably enough of an idiot to try it. Could I live with myself???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably not, you're much too nice for doing something like that... Right? :) hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. you could convince her to wear a pot of honey around her neck. Don't bears like honey?
    Kidding.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent idea! Oooo, I like that. lol We're nasty, I hope she isn't reading this! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I doubt she could even spell "blog"...

    ReplyDelete