Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fawn in the Flowers

I made the mistake of sleeping in this morning (something that is a much more frequent occurrence since the Great AN Experience of 2008). And, in doing so, I missed a special moment - fortunately for me (and you), Willie experienced the whole thing.

Willie headed outside very early this morning to start working on the mulch project. As he walked out the side door from out garage, he caught a movement out of the corner of his eye in the raised planting bed to the left of the door. When he looked over, there was a very tiny fawn raising itself up on its spindly legs and trying to escape. It ran into the middle of the yard and stood there looking confused and scared. Willie said he squatted down so as not to scare it anymore. Just as he was wondering if the little baby was orphaned, he started hearing a little chirping noise - and then the mother came out of the woods, tail in full alert mode (we have white tailed deer here) looking for the baby. Reunited, they ran off into the woods behind our house.

An amazing nature moment. I can only guess that the baby has decided to sleep in amongst the lettuce and day lilies, up against the house for warmth. The bed is raised about a food off the ground, so it's kind of amazing that the little guy got up there. Willie said is was laying down, tucked up against the house when he came out. What is even more amazing is that it didn't touch the three tender lettuce plants that is was laying amongst! The little thing is probably only a few weeks old, at most. Hopefully it will make an appearance again and I will be lucky enough to see it!

And, now, I am off to plant some more tomatoes (OMG, I can't stop myself!!) Lorenzo, I blame you! And, Mom and Dad, I blame you too.

5 comments:

  1. Do not resist, it would be totally futile. Go with it, give in, absorb and enjoy. That's gardening and growing food, it sort of does that to one's brain. Blame me all you want, lol but you must have had it in you already otherwise you wouldn't do it now. Probably suppressed fro years and years... :)

    LOve the idea you could have deer so close to the house, and seeing a fawn that close up – lucky man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I really lay the blame at my parents door since I must have inherited the gene from them - they've always liked digging in the dirt and growing things. I will just be happy if I can avoid whatever insect is planning its locust-like plague this year. So far, we've had Japanese Beetles, Cicada-killer Wasps, and gypsy moth caterpillers. Once can only wonder how far behind the locusts are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are times when I am grateful to be living in Ireland and not in some biblical plague infested country like yours! Even the over-abundance of rain seems to be small fry compared to the killer / munching / banzai insects you have! Madonna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can ship you some if you are feeling left out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. no thanks, the local human population is enogh to deal with. :)

    ReplyDelete