Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Guest Blog Post by Lorenzo

My friend Lorenzo Tonti recently posted something on Facebook and it was so compelling to me that I wanted to repost part of it here. With Lorenzo's permission, here is an excerpt from his post:

"Another aspect of one sided hearing loss is the lack of natural filtering. With normal hearing, the brain can 'filter out' unwanted or background noise. With only one ear functioning, that filter is not working. Every noise is registered at the same level; every noise. Can you hear your name being said or called across a room full of people? I can't, no matter how loud the person says my name. They have to scream to get my attention. This also probably seems a rather minor problem, doesn't seem that important. Not so. The effect of all this noise in one's brain is overload. My brain gets overwhelmed by noise. It can take only so much of it, but the effort of trying to understand and have some sort of normal social interaction is just so great that it overloads the brain. That means: sudden and extreme fatigue, a sense of panic, a reaction of wanting to flee and a need to be away from the noise! That sort of reaction has a huge effect on one's life! I have to think very hard before I commit myself to going out to a restaurant because I know that I most likely will not hear very much, and after a while my brain will just refuse to work properly and I will shut down. I will be isolated in the middle of a group of people, not being able to communicate, and I'll be fighting the urge to leave. This is by far the worst effect from my hearing loss, it's very isolating."

So, why am I reposting this? Because it is the best explanation I have ever read of what the world sounds like now and why it so overwhelming at times. I am sure that my other SSD friends who read this will relate - and hopefully it will help some of the non-SSD people understand a little better.

Thank you, Lorenzo - as the young'uns say - you rock!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks! Glad this piece found such good response, and such a great home. Your blog is a great place for it. :) And yes, rocking is one of the side effects of SSD, balance isn't what it used to be either! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that it is not only me!

    I started to avoid loud noisy places and whenever we go out w my friends, I insist on going to a quite and calm place otherwise many times I just simply do not join!! Yeah, this brings a kind of isolation, no matter how much I strive to conceal it and compensate for it!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again, Lorenzo.

    Hrissy, I think we all experience these feelings of isolation at times - and for those of us who have always been social, it is quite an adjustment. We just have to find our own way to still be social.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do, it's part of our lives now. But I also know that we all find a way around it and find a way of being social again.

    Lorenzo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it is different when you have kids - at least it is for me. We certainly don't have a "calm & peaceful" house - it is wild and crazy! Also, the activities that they are in & the parties, etc. that they attend are not quiet either. I really don't have a choice about this! :o) I guess since I taught school and went right back after my surgery (1st grade - NOT quiet - nor would I want it to be all silence), I never had these thoughts or feelings. I just knew that this was the way it was going to be - there were not really any alternatives (BAHA or TransEar) when I became SSD nor was I able to communicate with anyone else who was SSD - I just did the best I could with what I had! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great description. I always have trouble putting into words what I feel everytime I was into a loud place. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott, I agree w/you - great writing. Lorenzo has managed to clearly articulate what I was feeling! Bravissimo, Lorenzo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grazie a tutti!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not SSD but I did lose low tone hearing so listening to people like my husband is very difficult (ha, ha) I do forget when I am talking on the phone and will grip at him for not speaking up and then he will finally tell me to switch ears. (oh yeah) I can't imagine not being able to hear anything out of that ear. That would drive me insane. I get frustrated enough with just not hearing the low tones.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete