Sunday, March 8, 2009

Is That a Steak on Your Chin?

Sunday morning and I'm feeling funny - not odd-funny, but actual funny-funny. Must be the beautiful spring weather we are having, or maybe it's that extra hour of daylight we'll get at the end of the day now.

Well, whatever the case ... yesterday I was talking with my good friend Ellen and we had quite a laugh about my lack on sensation on my lower lip. Yes, not only can't I move it, but I can't really feel it either. Which leads to the obvious - I can't feel anything that happens to slip out of my mouth and rest on my lower lip. Now, you may be thinking, "no problem, how often does anything actually slip out of someone's mouth?" Answer: when you're still recovering from facial paralyis, this happens quite often. You see, the lower lip doesn't move, so chewing and taking bites of things is kind of an andventure.

Willie, patient soul that he is, is forever giving me that little nod and downwards glance to let me know that something is affixed to my lip/chin. Sometimes, he just reaches over with his napkin and whisks whatever it is off. It's almost like we're already in the nursing home.

And, it opens me up to questions like, "Excuse me, ma'am, but is that a porterhouse steak on your chin?"

7 comments:

  1. :) lol

    Ah, but a numb face / tongue / cheek has some advantages. I can now eat hot curries and spicy southern Italian stuff, and it feels perfectly tolerable! Excellent. Fortunately it doesn't land on my chin often. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a nice piece of shrimp or calamari on the chin is a nice touch, too. Don't want you to feel left out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good, I thought I might be disqualified for membership of the FoodOnChin Club. What a relief. Maybe we should have a FOCC get-together some day; a gathering of chins so to speak, so we can exchange nods ideas and techniques.

    In fact, us bearded men are rather used to having food bits getting stuck in places where they should not. Regular use of serviettes is second nature now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what I LOVE now? To be able to tell someone ELSE that they have food on THEIR face. I am truly glad that people help me out (all the time) but I just LOVE to tell others now when they have stuff on their faces? Is that bad?? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad? No. Far from it! Revenge is sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excuse me, is that a bottle of red wine on your chin, Lorenzo?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. uhu, i think it's the chianti from last night. Keeping it handy for slurping during the day, as and when needed. :)

    ReplyDelete