Wednesday, March 4, 2009

One Year Ago...

It was one year ago today that I heard the five words that profoundly affected my life - "You have a brain tumor." To back up a bit ... I had been to see my ENT for a hearing test in mid February and he confirmed that the hearing in my right ear was worse than in my left ear. He suggested that I go for an MRI "just to rule out any sorts of growths or anything." I went for the MRI on the 3rd and was surprised, but not alarmed, to get a call from my ENT an hour later asking me if I could come in the next day.

At the time, my mother in law was in the hospital with a ruptured appendix and I was quite concerned about her, so I really never gave the MRI results a second thought. I think I was viewing it more as an annoyance than anything else. In fact, I even suggested to Willie that I should cancel it, but he was having none of it (thank God!) As I sat in the waiting room, I jotted down a couple of questions for the doctor regarding hearing aids, and stiffled my horror at having to wear a contraption on my ear.

So, I was completely and totally unprepared for the news that I had a tumor in my head. I remember the doctor looking at me with great concern while I stared back at him with what was probably a blank look on my face. I remember asking him if it was cancerous, and I had him spell out the words Acoustic Neuroma so that I could look it up later. I asked about treatment and he said it would be either surgery or radiation and that I'd need to see a neurosurgeon. And then I got in my car and drove home. I debated calling Willie, not really wanting to break the news on the phone - however, I knew he'd never forgive me if I didn't tell him right away, so I dropped the bomb on him. Then I called my parents and dropped it on them as well. It is all kind of blur now. I didn't cry - I think I was just so shocked that I didn't really know how to react.

Willie and I discovered the Acoustic Neuroma Forum that night and my journey of discovery began...

It may sound a bit strange to celebrate the anniversary of the day you learned you had a brain tumor, but that is exaclty what I am doing tonight. Raise a glass with me, okay? Let's toast life.

3 comments:

  1. To life, friendships and the wonderful world we now live in. Without this AN, we wouldn't be where we are, I wouldn't know you, and none of us would be aware of so many things. Salute!

    I celebrate every year, 18 June 03 was my day. Pretty much the same story, hearing test, sent for an MRI to another city, did it, running neurosurgeons (yup, that unusual in this country), then the request to go see them next day. Sheila knew as she had been told, but asked not to tell me. She couldn't keep quiet. It was such a relief! For years I knew something was up and no doc would take me seriously, so this confirmed I wasn't imagining it! Great, I'm not mad. A brain tumour... how interesting. That's when it all started.

    And here we are. Isn't this just the most amazing journey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbi,
    I believe my date was March 9th, 2007. A Friday about 5 pm and the doc called me. My MRI was about 2 weeks earlier, so I really wasn't expecting it. He told me over the phone and I started my searching journey also. I had surgery on May 23, 2007. I have single sided hearing, but no facial problems. I have pretty much adapted. I only occasionally have head pain at the surgery site.
    Lorenzo, it has been an amazing journey! Here we are! Have a great weekend!
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I found my login information. It had been awhile since I used it. I checked my blog (which I haven't posted to in about a year and a half) and it was March 9, 2007. My 2 year is fast approaching.
    Take care! Carmen

    ReplyDelete