Sunday, August 24, 2008

It's All About The Onions...

Okay, so here's the deal. When you have facial paralysis, your eye doesn't tear which means that you must be very careful to keep the eye artificially moist with tears, gels, etc. One of the things you can do is create a "moisture chamber" which keeps the eye sealed, thereby allowing any moisture to stay in the eye as opposed to evaporating.



Stay with me here - I'm going somewhere with this ... and there are pictures! Several of my friends on the Acoustic Neuroma forum who are dealing with face and eye issues have been on a quest to find things that can act as a moisture chamber for the eye. Voila! Enter .... ( drum roll!) ... Onion Goggles!!!



Yes, folks, Onion Goggles! A handy device invented for cooks to wear while chopping onions so that their eyes won't tear. They are available in finer chef's stores as well as on Amazon and E-Bay. The theory is that if the goggles provide enough of a seal to keep onion fumes out, then they will also keep moisture in.



They come in a choice of colors, one being pink which supports breast cancer research. Need I say more?



But, enough of my chatter - judge for yourselves... (And thanks to my dear friend, Peg, for being the photographer on this...)


Oh, and Lorenzo - The evil Ethel was 2.4 sticky cm when removed...

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely FAB-ulous look, my dear! So glad to have the latest look for Fall right on hand! Bring on the Onion Goggles! xoLPLdLOVE-THE-PINK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just soooooooo you Debbi!! Very fetching. I like the new look. Do they come in black or grey? I'm a designer, I couldn't possibly wear pink. Not that I need them for moisture, but cutting onions is such a painful experience. I presume swimming goggles would do the same trick too?

    But no, those are just perfect, very fashion. Great!

    LOL

    Off to have an espresso, need to ponder this new development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorenzo - as it happens, they come in a very manly black! Lucky you!
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh GREAT! I shall go and check Amazon right away! Perfect. I might even use those when I go teach my students, along with the gas mask i have so I can avoid their afflictions. Should look perfect as a combination.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! And, of course, we'll expect a picture ... there is an actual string on the forum entitled "Onion Goggles" ... allora...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, this will have to wait. Amazon UK (nearest to us) does only supply them in white. :( That won't do at all at all. Sigh.

    Allora, nient per il momento, Dovrete aspettare per la foto! :)

    So, what part of Italy did your family hail from?

    Going to check the thread on the forum now.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete