Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Year Ago

Well, at this exact time one year ago, I was in the middle of a craniotomy - wow, those are words you never think you'll hear yourself say! To celebrate, Willie is taking me to dinner at Andre's, a favorite local French bistro - sure will be a far cry from my ice chips in the Recovery Room at NYU a year ago! Willie and I will both be glad to raise a glass of wine and toast the one-year anniversary.
My annual MRI was Tuesday, and the news was all GOOD. Dr Golfinos saw me an hour or so after I finished with the MRI and was able to pull the film up on his computer so we could see it while in his office. And, all he could see was belly fat and brain! Yahoo!!!! I never thought I would be so happy to see belly fat - and in my head, of all places. Although I knew that it would be too soon for anything to be growing back, it was still such a relief to see it with my own eyes. For fun, I am posting the "before" and "after" pictures here. And, now I will also begin what will probably be a lifetime of annual brain scans. I am told that the next one will be easier, and I am sure you are all right on that. And, as long as the docs are willing to continue prescribing a valium before I slide in to the "Tunnel of 1,000 Monsters", all will be okay.
Here's the After picture - notice the shaded area on the left side of the picture - that's belly fat, folks! Here is what things looked like before I went into surgery last year - note the big white "thing" on the left side of the screen? That's a tumor, folks.


So, that is my big news today. I am going to try to get a bunch of work done so that I can goof off for a few hours this afternoon. I have much to be thankful for and I'd like to take some time to just enjoy feeling good. If the weather holds, I'll sit on the patio and listen to the birds singing and just appreciate the sights and smells and sounds of spring. Want to join me?

2 comments:

  1. very cute brain Debbi, fat or no fat. I LOVE those images. IT's always amazing thinking back at the things we went through. Sometimes now I have to remind myself that I really went through all that! Boy... thinking about it... MRI anxiety gets better with time, in terms of worrying about the results. Second one is easier, then the following ones are easier... and so on.

    So, the belly fat, hope it stay fresh in there... :) Lots of it, didn't realise it was going to be that much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations on such a great test result. That was probably the hardest one and I am sure it will get easier as Lorenzo said. Your strength continually amazes me! I am so glad you got a clean bill of health.

    ReplyDelete