Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring is in the Air






Well, today it finally felt like spring here. I worked this morning - got a big project that I had been avoiding done - and then decided that a trip to Home Depot was in order. No, I have not suddenly taken up home repairs - I was on the hunt for a gardening "fix." You see, I decided that I am going to try my hand at container veggies this year - which simply means that I am going to plant some veggies in containers to keep on the deck - away from the sharp teeth of deer, rabbits and whatever else is roaming the property.

Even though we are still having some freezing temps at night, I just can't hold back any longer! So, Carrie and I (yes, she needed an outing too) came back with basil, cherry tomato and oregano seedlings! Not able to contain myself, I got out my trowel, some nice organic fertilizer (yep, smells like poop) and started prepping the containers. This involved breaking up root clumps left over from last year and mixing the smelly fertilizer in - dirty work, but so rewarding. Carrie was helping me every step of the way - getting her long collie-nose into everything.

Now, I'll have to watch the temps each night and bring my little babies in if a frost appear imminent, but it will be worth it later in the year when I harvest my crop!

I think I needed this right now. I have been feeling cranky and all stressed out for the last few weeks - although I tell myself that I am not worried about the upcoming MRI, I guess it is probably weighing on me more than I realize. Digging in the dirt today was good therapy. I see more such therapy in the upcoming two weeks ...

5 comments:

  1. Glad you found something as a therapy! I did too, when I came back from CK. Same as you, gardening. Works. Most of the time,. Just came back now from a trip away and the garden / seedlings have been decimated. I'd say 50% of the stuff is gone. Haven't got the heart to go out there and do anything now. Tomorrow will be another day and I'll see what I need to do.

    See, gardening is a double edged sword. lol For me anyway.

    When is your MRI Debbi? I can understand you would be nervous, it's perfectly normal to be so. You'll be fine.

    Ciao, Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I jsut spent the entire day out in the sun and the garden doing things to restore it to the way it was! Gardening IS a good therapy after all, I certainly feel much better for it! :)

    Hope you find it the same. BEst wishes with your new plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've been following your war with slugs on facebook. Nasty things. I am hoping by keeping most of my "crop" in containers that I'll be able to avoid the blighters.
    My MRI is the 28th - coming right up! My surgery was the 30th last year so my MRI is very nearly on my anniversary. HA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you'll suceed in that. We have a much wetter climate so that strategy didn't work for me. I now bought a different sort of grit, not poison; supposed to be kind to wildlife. Slugs hate going over it. So far, so good. No more ravages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited for you and look forward to hearing how everything grows. We are actually trying the same thing this summer.

    If you ever make it down to Monmouth County, I have a friend who has mastered the art of container growing and he loves to give tours of his garden. He and his girlfriend eat greens all summer and winter long, believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete