Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Night of Firsts


Well, last night was another milestone! Willie and I went to the County Chamber's annual black tie dinner dance (picture as proof that we clean up well). And, for the first time since surgery (nearly 9 months ago), I wore heels AND mascara!!! Some of you may be shrugging and rolling your eyes - and if so, I'm thinking that you haven't had brain surgery or aren't particularly close to someone who has. This is big - huge, I tell you!

I had to make a few comments at the podium, so I very carefully made my way up there without falling or stumbling - it helped that the podium was only about 12 steps from our table (thank you, Tammie). I got a standing O, which was very nice and rather humbling. I gave my brief comments without spitting or slurring and made it back to the table without mishap.

I even got Willie out on the dance floor! It was a slow dance, of course - no sense being really stupid and trying the hurl myself about the floor while maintaining a vestige of pride and integrity.

The downside was that there was a DJ and blaring music most of the night, which was predictably exhausting. Also, very difficult to engage in any sort of meaningful conversation - probably difficult even with two good ears. However, we were seated with my fellow board member, Deb Freiligh, and friends Tom and Claire Caines, so we managed to have some meaningful conversation. We hung in for 3 hours before I whispered in Willie's ear that it was time to take my hearing ear and leave.

I feel good!

13 comments:

  1. Yep. I know what you mean about the mascara and heels. I haven't had a dress on in 17 months! (since surgery) I will look longingly at the pretty clothes hanging in my closet and now that someday I will feel like putting them on again! Congrats on your night out. That IS A HUGE accomplishment from one facial paralysis girl to the next! You look FAB! Are you still wearing your weight? I am on most days but it's getting stronger.
    Again..........YOU have come a long way baby!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks, Angie. Big hug to you!

    No, I am not wearing my weight anymore - my eye does a pretty good job of blinking most of the time and I think the punctal plug is really helping. Still keeping the weight just in case, though!

    hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! :) Look good both of you, survived it all in one piece, including your dignity, and you got an acknowledgment from the masses. Couldn't get a better night out! Brava!!

    Lorenzo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just keeps getting better! Pretty soon this will all be a distant memory! :o)

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys do clean up well! Stunning ensemble. I know what you mean about the Mascara - it is my nemesis!
    Kind Regards,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can somebody explain the mascara bit? I wouldn't know, I don't use any... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you don't stand in heels either then? :) The heels may be obvious - teetering with vestibular issues, but the Mascara with the dry eye issue is an irritation. Then I personally can't keep steady enough to apply it correctly without doing deep breathing excercises!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, Mascara requires Yoga training. Right, I get you. Not a good idea to have dry eye and mascara. Thanks. As for heels, LOL I don't need heels to teeter. :) I manage just fine on the flat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, Mascara requires Yoga training. Right, I get you. Not a good idea to have dry eye and mascara. Thanks. As for heels, LOL I don't need heels to teeter. :) I manage just fine on the flat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i see you on mascara problems!!

    i wish you more evenings/nights like this in the coming year, Debbie!!

    x :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb,
    You look beautiful (Willie too). I'm glad you had a night on the town, you deserved it. And have I mentioned how good you look?
    Best,
    Marci

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, all! I have decided that I really don't need mascara OR heels to feel "complete!" The mascara was a challenge bot going on and coming off. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, life IS possible without both and still feel fulfilled, trust me. :)

    ReplyDelete