Saturday, January 10, 2009

The AN Bruch Bunch in NYC


Here is the photo of our AN lunch/brunch today in NYC - we had a blast! Willie was totally amazed at how much noise we made! From left - me, Eve, Mike, Rob, Joe, Neal, Pat, Wendy, Catherine, and Nance (Willie was manning the camera. so just imagine that he's there next to me!) Willie insists that the picture is blurry because we were all swaying, but I think it was an operator error...
Anyway, it was a great time with lots of laughter - even from Neal who is just slightly more than 2 weeks away from surgery! Gee, last time we got together, it was Wendy who was on the final countdown...
It is funny how this crazy, rare brain tumour has brought so many unlikely people together. It makes me realize how random the world is, while at the same time how there is a feeling of fate, or Kismet, about it as well. I found myself looking around the table and thinking how amazing it was that I met these people - had I not been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, my path would never have crossed with any of them - and look what I would have missed. I know I am waxing philosophical here, but I am so very grateful for the people I've met out of this experience. Kay, Lorenzo, Angie, Wendy, Nance, Joe, Catherine, Eve, Sara, Jules, Jan, Lori, Brian, Cheryl, and the list goes on and on.
I am now back home, watching the snow pile up - a big weather system has moved in and we are expecting up to a foot of snow! I was actually a bit concerned about driving back and forth to the city today, but it was SO worth it!
My heart is full.

3 comments:

  1. You know, without this internet thing, I wouldn't have had the extreme pleasure and privilege to know all my Tumour Friends, and life would be totally different, and all the poorer for it. It's amazing to know you all. Fortunately too, I actually met some of them last year in CA, and those were a few precious days.

    That looks like a nice get together! Where was it and what was on the menu? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, we met at Brendan's Irish Pub on W. 35th Street in NYC. In it's former day, the space was a bank with great high ceilings, stained glass walls and beautiful moldings. The space is L shaped, and they put us back in the short end of the L all by ourselves - it was like having a private room! I asked the waitress if it would possible to lower the volume of the music and she smilingly agreed.

    They had a basic brunch menu with things like omelettes, eggs benedict, irish sausage, a few sandwiches - and a bloody mary or mimosa! The food was very good - I asked for an egg white vegetable omelette and it was perfectly cooked! We'll definitely go back there next time - they are brain tumor friendly... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't ya just luv tumour friendly places... lol I think they should create restaurants for people with hearing difficulty! I'm sure there would be a market. :)

    ReplyDelete