Saturday, July 26, 2008

Tales of Medicine and Wine...

Well, first the medical tales … we had a good visit with Dr. Roland Thursday and I left feeling very encouraged. He could see the new bits of facial movement, and feels that I am between a 4 and a 3 on the House-Brackman Scale. For the uninitiated, this is the universally accepted scale that doctors use to “grade” facial movement. Six on the scale is zero movement and 1 is 100% movement. Coming out of surgery, I was probably pretty close to a 6, so I’ve definitely made progress.

So, the big question is … will I regain 100% facial animation? Probably not. But is 90% realistic? Probably so. I’ve done so much reading in the last few months about facial nerve paralysis that I’d already pretty much figured out that a full recovery isn’t probably realistic; but I would be quite happy with something in the 90% range! At that point, it wouldn’t be noticeable to most people at all.

Dr. Roland had a new Resident and a new Intern with him yesterday, so they were hanging on his every move and monitoring my every facial movement. I felt like a very expensive science project!

Now, to answer Lorenzo’s question … Yep, I am making wine! For my birthday this year, Willie gave me “tuition” for a wine-making school. We went in with our neighbors on a half-barrel of wine, and we chose Chilean Malbec. As luck would have it, this year’s Malbec harvest was one of the juiciest in recent history, which means that it should be an excellent wine!

I missed both the crushing and the pressing, but I am on board for all the rest of the steps along the way. They have a vintner who really manages the process and tells us what to do. When you think about it, we are paying the winery for the privilege of doing their work for them. Who’s the idiot in this equation…? Ha ha!!

Everyone is invited to the bottling party, which will be sometime next year!

I’ve sent Willie off again to race this weekend (yes, I know, I am an amazing wife!). Heaven knows, he has earned some R & R time this year! Zoom, zoom, zoom!

Later, Kids!

2 comments:

  1. I certainly hope you will regain as much as you possbily can in terms of movement! 90% sounds good, something to strive for.
    Wine: I presume (and presumption is a bad thing) that you get to keep some of the wine when the work is done? That makes it worth the work.
    Bottling: Malbec? Where and when.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbi! Glad to hear you are enjoying some fun things in life! Chis & I brewed beer for some time so I know how involvement in the process makes it more exciting. You have a greater wait with the wine, but you have had some lessons in patience recently, huh?
    Your Friend in Fermentation,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete