Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Dr. Louie Update

Got one thumbs up for Dr. Louie yesterday, expect the second thumbs up next week when he gets the results of the blood draw. BTW, if anyone wonders where the supply of blood is, all my doctors have it! Dr. L was very happy with my incision (now, there's something I never thought I'd be saying...) and we don't expect any surprises with the blood work either! Yahoo!

yes, Lorenzo, break out the petit syrah - and a nice wedge of cheese, please.

Don't think I mentioned this, but I am collaborating with a group of other Acoustic Neuroma patients to write a book. Each of us will contribute a chapter about our own experiences. The idea is to make the book available, probably through the Acoustic Neuroma Assn, for newly diagnosed patients and caretakers. The first days, weeks and months after diagnosis are such a whirlwind of emotions, and we felt that many might benefit from hearing our stories. I feel strongly compelled to make this event in my life really mean something, and to "give back" to others.

During the first couple of days following my diagnosis, Willie and I were spending countless hours scouring the internet for every shred of information about this thing growing in my head. Willie found the http://www.anausa.org website and its Patient Forum and was the first of us to post a question. We were both amazed at the support, advice and compassion that was extended to us by people on this forum. I strongly believe that my journey has been made far easier by this group of people. So, it is my intent and desire to continue to remain active in that online community and to support others as they start down this road.

Many have said that having an Acoustic Neuroma is a life changing event - I'm not sure to what extent that will prove to be true in my case, but I am certain that at least some changes will evolve from this - and they will be positive!

Okay, that got way more serious than I had planned!

So, on a far MORE serious note --- I am finally getting this wretched mop of hair on my head taken care of tomorrow!!!! Yes, it has been three (count 'em - three!) months since I've seen the inside of a hair salon. Shana is going to scream when she sees me, but I know she will then set about making me look relatively human again. Lord, nothing like three months of drugs and stress and no hair color and no styling to make a girl feel hideous! Can't fix the face, but the hair is definitely going to look great by end of day tomorrow! Pictures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment