Friday, December 3, 2010

The Unveiling


This week marked two weeks since my baha surgery, and time to get the dressing off and stitches out. Went into NYC on Wednesday and the surgeon undressed and un-stitched everything and then proclaimed her work to be excellent. Not being able to see around the side of my head, I had to wait until I got home to be able to get a good look at things for myself. Eek. Did you know that I have what appears to be rivet on the side of my head???? Frankly, I am not sure whether to be excited or totally creeped out.

Actually, it isn't as bad as I feared. The abutment is small, maybe as big around as a pencil eraser and sits almost flush with my head. That is reassuring as I would sure hate to get it caught on my brush... The incision is also quite small and eventually won't show at all. At the moment, the little bit of my head that was shaved for the surgery is starting to grow new hair and it itches like crazy. These are the things no one tells you about...

I am trying to get an appointment scheduled for mid-February to see the audiologist who will install the processor and show me how to use it. Seems like a long ways away, but I am sure it will be here in the blink of an eye.

One more step in the acoustic neuroma journey...

4 comments:

  1. This is great news! I can't wait to hear all about it and how wonderful it is. I am also hoping to get one in the near future. Good thoughts coming your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great!! Now... ehmmmm... no photo of the rivet??? I need to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey, thanks. And, good luck with your baha. I am sure I am going to love it once I get the processor!
    Lorenzo, okay, okay, because you asked to nicely, I'll have Willie snap a picture over the weekend and I'll email it to you. Prepare to be freaked out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! you should know by now that nothing much freaks me out! ;)

    ReplyDelete