Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanks ...


First of all, can I just say how surprised I am to be staring the 2010 holiday season square in the face? Didn't I just put away the Santas and the Christmas decorations? And, wasn't it just a few days ago that I stashed my Reindeer socks for another year? As they say in the comics ... Holy Crap, Batman!

Like most of my fellow Americans, I like to take a little time on Thanksgiving to really reflect on the many things for which I am thankful. Topping the list is that I am married to possibly the best guy in the world (yep, that's you, honey!) And, along with that, I am grateful that all of our parents are in good health. I'm grateful for my wonderful friends who've been there no matter what. And, I am grateful that God invented turkeys and chocolate (no, not in the same bite, but close...)

And, strangely, I am even grateful that a brain tumor arrived in my life a few years ago. Yes, you read that right. And, no, I haven't lost my mind. Of course, I am not particularly happy that I grew a "blob" in my head, but on the other hand, look at the amazing people I've met as a result of this! Would I have ever met Lorenzo in Ireland? Or Hrissy in Bulgaria? Or David in LA? Or Kay in Texas? Or Jan in Chicago? Or Lori in Virginia? Or Wendy on Staten Island? And, the list goes on and on. These are people I met when I was learning about acoustic neuromas ... they are the ones who said "I understand" and really meant it! They celebrated the victories and commiserated on the bad days. And, they still do.

So, yes, I have a great deal to be thankful about. I shall raise a glass of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir later and say ... Her's to YOU!

Oh, and I just came up with one more thing to be grateful for ... thanks to Wendy for telling me the the baha "healing cap" could come off accidentally and if it did, one could simple snap it back on the abutment. Thanks, Wendy - you just saved the surgeon getting an emergency page on Thanksgiving from an hysterical patient...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, let me get this straight: the super-technology-spike-in-your-brain-bionic-implant-thingy can fall off, or at least the cap can?? Can they not use some DESIGN sense to avoid that and redesign the thing??? Honestly, do we need to get Swiss onto this problem and solve it, eh? Tse.

    Giving thanks, for (not sure to whom though; best thank the individuals I think):

    1) meeting you and yer man, finally and having the opportunity to spend time with you, and seeing you go gaga about cows. Priceless.

    2) my accountant, whose last fee was biger than my business profits, which spurred me to finally close my business, and save his fees in future. THANK YOU!!

    3) my wife, of 26 years, who had to put up with me for all that time, and still seems to hang around. A real saint I tell ya.

    4) all my AN friend (including my AN itself) for the good times, and laughs and support and everything else. This life would be so much duller without you all!

    5) lastly, this country, who is in process of closing down big time. Without you, I would never have realise just how much I am attached to order and efficiency. You opened my eyes to my Swissoid self!

    :)

    ReplyDelete