Monday, February 16, 2009

I Can Hear!!

So, finally got in to see the Audiologist this morning for the much-awaited hearing test. Last year, when I had my test (which was the lead-up to the MRI and the brain tumor diagnosis) my speech discrimination in my Left (good) ear tested at 92, which is okay, but not fabulous. I've wondered if my extreme state of stress when I was tested last year (believe it or not, I was freaked out that I might be losing my hearing - little did I know!) might have caused me to test lower.

And, it would seem that I might be right - because this year my speech discrimination in my good ear tested at 100!! Like anyone else my age, I've got some hearing loss in the high and low ranges, but all withing completely normal ranges.

Now, here's what is really strange. The Audiologist (Diane) insisted in testing my deaf ear and I was able to actually get some word recognition at very high volume. I am very curious about this and plan to discuss w/Dr. Roland when I see him on Mar. 2. I queried both Dr. Galeos (ENT) and Diane this morning and the best they could surmise is that whatever is left of my 8th cranial nerve is trying to hear things. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that I am technically and"profoundly" deaf in that ear, but it is kind of interesting.

I also hit both of them up to get trained for Transear - they are going to think about it and I will check back in a few weeks. I gave my most compelling and convincing argument, but it's ultimately up to them. So, stay tuned.

Meanwhile, Happy Birthday, Dad!! (I restrained myself from belting out the entire birthday song when we talked this morning - you can thank me later!)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent news Debbi!!!! :) Hope the transear will be yours soon. Nothing like having a sense of hearing on the bad side to alleviate some of the noise induced stresses. I know that I'm happy I have a hearing aid on my bad ear. :)

    ReplyDelete