Friday, November 14, 2008

Punctal Plug

Friday afternoon in acoustic neuroma land...

I just returned from the ophthalmologist's office where he inserted a "punctal plug" in my lower right tear duct. As the name suggests, it is a very tiny "plug" that is inserted using a tiny instrument into the tear duct. I will prevent any moisture that is in my eye from draining through the tear duct. The plug appears to be about the size of a grain of sand - if it ever falls out, I'll never know...

As you know, part of the acoustic neuroma aftermath is that my eye doesn't close all the way and it doesn't produce any tears. So, I have to constantly keep drops or gel lubricant in my eye in order to protect the cornea. Sometimes, I find myself using drops every 15 minutes or so, which is a pain in the ass. Or, the eye, in my case. With this plug, I should be able to double the time between drops.

I thought it would be worthwhile to post a couple of pictures here. One is a "close up" of my eyes - as you can see, my right eye is almost, but not quite, closed. That little slit is enough that I lose quite a bit of moisture from my eye due to evaporation. Also, what moisture I do have doesn't always get disbursed about the whole because my blink doesn't work well or consistently. Hence the drops and punctal plug. You can also see from this picture that my eyebrow still doesn't move - at all. The upside is that I have no lines on that side of my forehead. Since I wear bangs now, most people won't ever see the crooked eye brows, although they will see the "Marty Feldman" eye, especially when I'm tired!

I also thought it was time for a smile update. As you can see, when I make a small smile, it looks quite symmetrical. The big smile is still somewhat asymmetrical, but definitely better than it was. I'm working myself up to a separate post about facial issues, because there are so many elements to it that aren't as overtly visible, but are still annoying and daunting.

Today, though, the eyes have it...

6 comments:

  1. WOW! Debbi the improvements in your face are drastic from the last time that you posted. Amazing! How far along are you? You look sooooooo good and trust me....I won't just say that to make you feel good. I'm in the same boat as you with paralysis and love to hear true feedback.........YOU ARE LOOKING SO GOOD.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! You have a smile back!!!! That's great! Marty Feldman eye? lol I guess so, but you look better than he does. Thanks for the punctal plug update. How can they even insert anyting in there... one wonders...

    Doing great Debbi! :)

    Ciao, Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbi,
    You look awesome! You are really giving me hope that my face will again look as good and 'normal'. (I can relate to the Marty Feldman eye).
    I wear bangs and glasses now to distract from my new features. Thanks for the updates, they really help those of us on this trip with you.
    Your e-mail buddy,
    Coleene

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS!! You look GREAT!! If only my face could look even half that good!! I know that the eye stuff is certainly bothersome, but I think I would take it any day if my smile/face looked that good!! :o) 'Course I am very grateful for the little bit I have!!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the facial progress has been really noticable in the last few months.
    Angie, I'm a little over six months post op surgery was on April 30.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beautiful! Hang in there...it'll get better!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete