Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pardon Me?

So, thanks first to my "tumour buddies" for your unfailing support and understanding. I was talking with Wendy (another tumour buddy) this morning on the phone and we had some good laughs about our weird new world.

So, today I am going to vent about SSD - or, for those who aren't in our club, Single Side Deafness.

I think that the thing to stress here is DEAF, not hard-0f-hearing. It seems to be very hard for a lot of people to understand that I don't hear a single thing from my deaf ear. So, talking louder doesn't necessarily help. What DOES help is remembering to talk into my hearing ear, which is my Left ear.

To complicate the total absence of sound coming from my right side is an intensity of sound coming from my left side. I am told that the sound hypersensitivity will go away or at least diminish in time, but right now I still find a lot of loud noises to be acutely painful. So, when people shout, it really isn't a good thing and I still can't hear you because at that point, I've slapped my hand over my left ear to protect it.

Another thing that people don't seem to really understand is that I can't hear when multiple people are talking all at the same time - really, I can't hear you. All I hear is a lot of noise all fighting to enter my over-worked left ear. And, if you add some background noise onto this (air conditioner, radio, forced-air heat) it gets even harder.

Conversely, when I am engaged in a conversation with one other person, or multiple people who don't insist on talking over each other, I can hear just fine and you don't even need to raise your voice.

When I am at home, I can hear pretty much as well as I ever did. What I can't do is tell where sound is coming from. When a phone rings, I can't tell what room it is coming from. A crash in the middle of the night? No clue as to where it originated. And, sometimes, I don't really recognize sounds - I am constantly asking Willie "What was that?"

In noisy environments, I just can't hear - period. And, that is very unnerving and exhausting. I find myself not wanting to go out to dinner as often because sometimes it just isn't enjoyable at all because it is such a struggle to hear. And, yes, that makes me feel very aggravated at times - I don't like not being able to participate in conversations at the same level I used to. However, there are some bright spots. Recently I was out in a very noisy NYC restaurant with my friend Kura who carefully leaned forward over the table every time she spoke to me - which meant that I could actually hear her. It was an amazingly thoughtful gesture and is just one of the reasons why she's such a very dear friend. Love you, Missy!

I am looking into some sort of bone conduction device (either BAHA or TransEar) but I am also fully aware that it won't solve all of these issues. However, it would go a long way to minimizing the problem of people talking into my deaf ear. The other option is to just stay home all the time and while some days that is very tempting, it isn't a good long term solution.

I am trying to take some pages from my Dad's book. He has been SSD for years and most people would never even know it. He is my hero when it comes to seeing how gracefully someone can get through challenging SSD situation. And, like so many of my tumour buddies, he also knows how crummy it feels sometimes to not be able to hear. Thanks, Dad.

On a bright note, when I sleep on my left ear (which I usually do because it hurts to sleep on my incision side) I really can't hear a thing. This means that I pretty much sleep undisturbed through the night.

Thanks for letting me vent.

14 comments:

  1. I can now sleep at a moment's notice thanks to the AN fatigue, and anywhere, thanks to SSD. That is a wonderful thing! LOL Don't you just love it? Train noises beside a hotel? What noises? Storm? Hurricane? Dog? HUH? where? Nah, didn't hear anything. Fire alarm? Hemmm a bit unnerving that one.

    SSD sucks. there's no two ways about it. I'm exactly the same and most of us are. Noisy places, and by nosiy I mean anything with piped music, more than two people, clanking stuff, all those places are just a no no unless one wears plugs and smiles and nods a lot. Not exactly the best way to have a social occasion. I certainly stopped counting the times I nodded at the wrong time. People always talk to my bad side, and you know what? I jsut ignore them if they do. Feck them, they know, if they are thick enough to talk into a malfunctioning ear, then though. Why should I make the effort and be embarrassed? Nah, let them figure it out why I'm ignoring them. With strangers, it's different. I just tell them I'm deaf on my left and if I don't respond it's probably because I didn't hear them. I usually make an announcement. Nothing like it to set the tone, excuse the pun.

    Hearing aids. Interesting that one. Last week I took possession of a normal strong hearing aid. Not a transear (can't get them here) or anything fancy like a BAHA or CROSS. No, just a normal hearing aid. according to my audiologist, for people with SSD a hearing aid can work just like a CROSS, by the sound being conducted via the brain mass I guess? If you're interested, I have the explanation and I can send it to you. Anyway, the point is, since I'm suing it, the noisy paces suddenly become bearable again. Apparently, the fact of hearing in stereo again makes all the difference!

    So, go for a hearing aid. it'll help, hopefully.

    Ciao

    Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and by the way, i still can't type, and i'm really tired right now, so pardon the spelling mistakes. Yawn.

    Buona notte.

    Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, all I can say is "it does get better" but I know you are sick of hearing that (at least you can hear it!)! I was never really sensitive to loud sounds and when I had surgery, there were no options to improve the hearing - you were just stuck being SSD - I guess I just made the best of it because I had to! LOL!! At least you don't have babies crying and are trying to figure out which room they have crawled off to - I can't tell you the number of times I had to run thru my house FRANTICALLY trying to find them!! Like in all things, we made it though! Glad they grew out of that phase!!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys. I am not sure if everyone has the noise sensitivity? Nor am I sure how long it will last. Today I went to the salon to get my hair colored and the noise was totally overwhelming. I couldn't WAIT to leave. And, now, all I wsnt to do is lay in a dark room and listen to total silence!!

    Kay, I can't imagine what it was like to manage babies when you first went through this. I always hold you up as a shining example of a positive attitude, even though I am certain you've had your down days on this journey.

    Lorenzo, I'd love to hear more about your hearing device. I am still thinking that I'll try a TransEar if I can just find someone to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nise sensitivity seems pretty common for people with SSD. The problem comes from our inability to filter out unwanted noise, once we loose the hearing on one side. Once we can't filter, it all becomes just noise, and at the same level. It leads to overload and fatigue and confusion! Can be pretty dramatic, for me at least. I've been know to run from places in panic! It does get better with time, but never really resolves fully.

    I found that since I have this hearing aid, it seems to be much better. A TransEar might be a good option for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turns out, I can't send you an e-mail, so I'll post it on this! Cumbersome, but it'll have to do. :)


    Here we go!

    My original idea was based on my supposition that you probably had very little or no hearing in the operated ear. This is the scenario for which CROS aids have been developed. As you know CROS aids pick up the sound on the bad side and the signal is normally routed via a wire under the hairline (at the back) and fed into the good ear. Now, years ago in the NHS the technology doing this was not very reliable or tidy: it was expensive and not always helpful. People began fitting powerful aids to the bad ear on the basis that some sound gets through the head to the other side. It might sound pretty hit and miss, but it is long established that, when testing, if the threshold for a sound in the worse ear is 40dB louder than the threshold in the good ear, you don't know which ear the person has heard the sound in. eg if you hear 20dB in the good ear and 60dB in the bad ear we don't know which ear has heard it.

    Hence the horrible masking during hearing tests. If you introduce the right amount of a narrow band noise into the good ear you can keep it busy so to speak while you test the bad ear.

    So the pseudo-CROS I mentioned would be an aid fitted to the bad ear with its sound crossing the head and stimulating the good ear.
    In my investigations it seems that whatever type of CROS aid someone tried they have a 50/50 chance of being able to make useful sense of the sound they are getting.

    When we did your hearing test I was suprised that you had as much hearing as you have in the operated ear. Traditionally the hearing in that ear is not easy to help with hearing aids but the newer digital aids are designed taking this kind of loss into account. Not all surgeons know this. They will have trained years ago and read in a dusty old tome that ski-slope losses are impossible to aid. Even some audiologists are stuck in that mould. Also in some of the higher frequencies your hearing is severe so you may be getting some CROS hearing with your aid.

    Now to your comments on your short experience with the aid:
    not being bowled over so much by background noise suggests that you are hearing in a way closer to stereo, maybe even in stereo. Ask anyone with normal hearing to put a finger in one ear in the noisy places you mentioned and they almost certainly won't hear as well.Also you would be locating sound better and that can help one feel more comfortable in busy places: what you are seeing matches more closely with what you are hearing.
    The only think you are doing that you shouldn't be doing is plugging your good ear: you said you had tried that in the car, and occasionally won't matter just as an experiment. As I know you know what matters is how you hear when you're using your ears as a pair. Some people get wound up about what the aided ear on its own is hearing and that can lead to misery. On its own the aided ear may seem useless: its what the brain can do with the binaural input that matters. That will be no suprise to you I think!

    I hope this is helpful. Please keep in touch ; its very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and that was me, twice! Tse tse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK - I am very "confounded" (Addi's spelling word this week) by these comments...Lorenzo, is this your comments towards Debbie's situation or a copy of your stuff? I thought that Debbie had NO hearing on her R side??
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apologies if there are some 'confoundings'.

    This is a copy of an e-mail I received from my audiologist regarding my bog standard Phonak hearing ai. I had asked her how it worked for somebody with SSD. This e-mail also includes comments she made to some points I raised with her regarding my first days of use.

    My hearing is 75% down, post CK, and the remaining 25% are useless. But the point she made to me was is that this normal hearing aid (Phonak Elvia)could work for people with SSD, just like a TransEar and CROS. Normally hearing aids like this are used in pars for people with normal hearing loss.

    Ciao

    Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, this is very interesting. The barrage of noise that one sometimes faces is really tiring. And, at the same time, having any ability to hear from my SSD side would probably be an improvment. I am still goign to look into TransEar if I can just find a provider who's in my insurance plan... Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I presume you got a list of providers from TransEar?

    My hearing aid doesn't give me good enough quality of sound for speech recognition, but maybe that can be improved on with adjustments. TransEar might work better. But even having some sort of sound helps with direction and stereo. Marked improvement from nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I got a list from TransEar, but that was a month or so ago, so I'll call them again to see if there are any new additions. I tried to convence a local audio guy to go through the training for transear, but he was a bit too short sighted. Ggrr. Today, though, I am getting punctal plug for my "dead" eye. More on that later...

    ReplyDelete
  13. punctal plug? What is that??? Sounds painful. eeeek

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pictures and story to follow....

    ReplyDelete