Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Next Hurdle

So, tomorrow, I give my first public presentation since losing control of the right side of my face ... and I am nervous! It's a small group, but a long workshop (5 + hours,) and I am concerned about both my face and my energy. Okay, in short, I'm a bundle of nerves! Yesterday, my mouth wasn't working well and I was really having to work not to slur - horrors!

I have decided that I will open the session (which is all about communications and behavioral characteristics) with some amusing antecdote about brain tumors. I have NO idea what that will be, but I have about 18 hours to figure it out...

In addition to worrying about content, crooked smile, slurred words, nap attacks and wonky head, I am also concerned about what shoes I should wear. I know, how Imelda Marcos of me. But, really, I can't wear heels for fear of falling right off of them, so it will need to be flats. sigh.

Assuming I live through tomorrow, Saturday Willie and I leave for Oregon to visit mom and dad for a week. Willammette Valley, here we come! There's some Pinot Noir with my name on it ... or someone's name. Either way, I'll drink it. Dad just got his second eye "done" yesterday (not sure if he was gifted another plant or not?) so he'll be able to keep an eye on us!

More later...

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the presentation! I'm sure you'll do just great. Nap attack? Prevent by napping before the event. as for slurring, well isn't the fact that you ARE slurring and communicating a proof of how powerful communication is? Brain tumourj ust makes it more interesting. It'll grab their attention.

    As for the heels, Imelda, I recommend flat things anyway, teetering on towers is never a good idea. :)

    All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be thinking about you today - I know you will do great! I know about the shoe dilema - I've had to go to ALLL flats over the last years! :o( but at least it is better for my feet!

    Good Luck!!

    K

    ReplyDelete