Friday, November 5, 2010

Titanium Girl

Yes, I am on my way to having yet another piece of titanium in my head - this one in the form of a rod. It will go nicely with the plates and screws that are there already - kind of rounds out the hardware situation in my skull, don't you think?

So, yes, I am on my way to a BAHA. I tried every trick in my limited book to get Aetna to approve Dr. Roland to do the surgery, but they denied it. He is not "in network" so they wouldn't budge. It was a setback, but after a day of pouting, I went on to Plan B.

I should mention here that I am quite friendly with everyone on Dr. Roland's staff by now, including Irene, who does all of his surgical scheduling. She also handles the other neurotologists in his practice, including a freshly minted young neurotologist who does bahas!! So when we got the word from Aetna about not covering Dr. Roland, Irene suggested Dr Cosetti, who IS an in-network provider. Had my initial consultation with her on Wednesday of this week, and got the call yesterday with my tentative date for surgery! Mark your calendars - Nov. 18, time to be determined. And, by the way, Dr. C did her Fellowship in Otolaryngolgy with Dr. Roland.

Woot Woot! Those of you who are SSD will understand why I am thrilled about getting a hole drilled in my skull - those who aren't may think that I am totally creepy and weird. Think what you like. In two weeks, if all goes according to plan, I will be sporting a titanium rod and a little "abutment" on the right side of my mastoid bone. I am going to be the ultimate "show-and-tell" item.

Technical details - the surgery takes about 1 hour and involves removing a bit of hair (permanently) on a dime-sized patch of my head, pulling back a flap of skin, drilling a hole, screwing in the rod, stitching the skin back, putting on some sort of festive dressing, and sending me home. Simple. I will have to wait about 90 days to get the processor, which is what will allow me to "hear" via bone conduction. It will also provide yet another show-and-tell opportunity since I will then have a small box affixed to my head. Wow. I am a fashionista in the making.

So, that is the baha news of the week. Send out a few good thoughts that Aetna approves the procedure quickly and without incident!

5 comments:

  1. Nah, don't think yer weird at all. In fact my thinking is, why settle for one hole when two will work better? And what's a bit more of titanium... At this rate mind you, you'll set off any alarm at airport gates! Bionic Debbi. :) Will keep fingers crossed that Aetna will erupt shortly with positive support and the young doc will do a perfect job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...thinking about it again after hearing Dale's tale (12 years deaf before got one)...I'll let you know! I know you are so excited! That's a good day - the day Addi becomes a real teenager!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kay - I didn't know that Dale had gotten one after 12 years! Wow. I did read something about someone else who got one after 15 years and was very happy. There seem to be several medical schools of thought on the issue of whether or not baha is effective many years later. Are you reconsidering?

    So, I will have an anesthesia cocktail for Addi's birthday. Maybe you should have one to get ready for teen-age-dom. :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie, First, let me congratulate you on your progess with BP. I had BP a year ago and I would like to know how to make an appointment with Jackie Diels, I've searching with no success, if you can please provide me a number where to call, I would greatly appreciate it.... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is Jackie's contact info:
    email: jdiels@uwhealth.org
    Phone: (608) 362-2935

    Don't hesitate to call her - she's really nice and will answer questions and talk with you a bit about your situation. As you know, I'm a huge believer in what she does. A year ago, I would never have believed that my face would improve this much.

    ReplyDelete