Sunday, December 27, 2009

The SSD Twirl

This falls under category of funny single-side deafness (SSD) moments.

The Dark Lord (Rocket, the black cat) has developed what we suspect is dermatitis which started looking very bad yesterday (this isn't the funny part). I decided that I needed to call the vet and leave am message to see if we can get her over here to treat him (still not funny, hang in there). So, went to grab my cell phone. Hm, not in its usual place. So, I started searching for it. Dad (who is still here freezing his butt off and wishing he were back in AZ) suggested that he use HIS cell phone to call me - we could then trace the sound of my phone ringing and locate the phone. Sounds good!

So, he proceeded to call me ... and my phone proceeded to ring. Now, at this point, I should mention that my dad is also SSD. And, one of the challenges of being deaf on one side is that you really can't determine what direction a noise is coming from. So, there we are, both in the kitchen, hearing my phone ringing at top volume. And we began twirling around. Both of us. And, then we realized how totally silly it was - two SSD people, neither with any ability what-so-ever to locate the direction of the noise. We both hit that realization at about the same moment - looked at each other and burst out laughing.

Footnote - we DID find the phone eventually.

3 comments:

  1. Now THAT is the best laugh I had all day!!! ROFL. Thank you SSD! hilarious.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEP! That is my life - only those of us with SSD would so totally get that! That there was TWO of you only magnifies the hilarity of it!! :o) Last night, I was at the computer, Dave & Kendie were watching a movie in the bedroom and Addi was in the kitchen. The phone started ringing - our ring - & I didn't have a phone so I yelled at Addi to get it. About that time, I kind of realized it wasn't quite loud enough to be coming from all our phones & Addi yelled, "M-O-M, it's on the TV!!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... Difference between ssd and hdd

    ReplyDelete