Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Giving Back

Like most people, over the years, I've wanted to find a cause that inspires me - some way in which I can give something back. I've considered and rejected a number of organizations/causes - some because they don't inspire me and others because they really don't do as much good as I'd like. But, in the last year and a half, I've found something that inspires me.

When I was first diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, I got online and started reading all I could find on this thing in my head. And, one of the very first sights I found was the Acoustic Neuroma Assoication website (yea, there's an actual association for our specific brain tumor!) Willie posted the first question (bravely) on their patient forum and almost immediately, people responded. This led to us having a phone conversation with a patient who'd has surgery the year before. His generosity in spending time to talk to us and sharing his story still touches me very deeply.

I became a "regular" on the ANA forum and I met some really wonderful people along the way (hey, Lorenzo and Kay!). I felt like I had a whole community of friends who understood what I was going through, who weren't bored or annoyed with my millions of questions, my fears, my concerns. And, I have tried to give that same support and friendship to others who find their way to the forum - most dazed, scared, confused.

Fast forward - several months ago, I decided (with lots of support and encouragement from Willie) that I would apply for a seat on the Board of Directors of the ANA. And, this morning, I received word that they want me! I've finally found my cause. I am elated! Yes, it's a time commitment, but when I think about all that I have gotten from this group - well, wow. I am honored to be able to be a part of it.

This brain tumor adventure has forever changed my life; it has a way of doing that for most of those affected by it. But, hopefully I can use my experience in a positive way, to help other people.

12 comments:

  1. That's fantastic!!! I can't think of a better person to be on that board. Congratulations! I'm envious you found your cause. :) Brava. We're all lucky to have you as a friend and I'm going to raise a toast to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, this is really fab!! I am so glad for you! finding a cause is a BIG step! That is the reason I keep up with the ANA Google group in Bulgarian although from the very beginning till now I have always been the only member! I think this is (r one of the) cause(s) for me too! I kinda think there are spies! ;-)
    Hurray to you!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lorenzo and Hrissy! I am pretty pleased about it - feels good to do something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is great news! Congratulations! :o) You know, I can not believe that they have not asked me to be on that board - oh, I am SO joking on that one!! LOL!! Great for you - so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Debbi!

    Jan (leapyrtwins)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I am excited about this. I'm also thinking that 2010 is going to be the year to write a book...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh ya... that would be a good idea. I'm designing number two as we type. Go for it! Whatever it is, I can't wait to read it. :) Need design advice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! What are you designing? Layout? Cover? I am still wrestling with the story/concept - brain tumor will be the central theme, but need to work on why people would want to read it. Going to spend some time thinking this through over the holidays...

    ReplyDelete
  9. right now, gathering images and so on. Been working on this for years in taking photos, so now it's time to put it together and get it out of my system! :)

    That's what always stopped me about the notion of an AN book. it really depends on whom it's aimed at. And is it just you or others, what angle, etc. It's not an easy one to get a handle on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I always thought you should do a photo book - you are SO talented! I will buy it, definitely! Are you self publishing? I have so much to learn about that aspect of putting out a book.

    You are right re the AN angle - what I am thinking is to use it as a framework for saying that a serious medical diagnosis doesn't have to mean giving up on life and living. I suppose you could categorize it as a self-help type of book? Not sure... Would love comments/suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This calls for a drink or two the next time we get together in NYC.

    Joe-

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) Yes, I will be self-publishing it, just like the first one:

    http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/787880

    That site will be interesting for you too! I can give you hand with that end if you'd like.

    A book like that would be interesting to all, rather than just a limited number of people who have ANs. Reminds me of a book by Po Bronson called "What should I do with my life' which I read a long time ago. Was really interesting. More a series of interviews with various people who changed their lives. Also brings to mind the 'Lemonade' movie you posted which is really interesting! It's more a book about people's lives, who happen to have an AN. It's interesting, the prospect of writing something like that, eh? Must be exciting!! :)

    ReplyDelete