Thursday, December 10, 2009

Facial Retraining - Next Phase

So, for the last few months, I've been showing more and more signs of synkinesis. It started with the chin dimple - that actually started in the summer. Now, my right eye is trying to close when I smile. And, if I blink my right eye (like a wink), that side of my mouth tries to pull up. I know where this is all leading, of course. And, I am determined to get ahead of it.

So, we will be traveling to Wisconsin in February (I know, I know - Wisconsin -winter - I get it!) to spend 2 1/2 days with Jackie Diels. For the uninitiated, she is considered to be the leading facial retraining expert in the US, if not the world. She has trained many of the top NMFRs and still sees patients herself. Willie talked to her on the phone last week, and she feels certain she can help. We attended a workshop she conducted at the Acoustic Neuroma Assn Symposium this past August in Chicago and were very impressed with what she said, and what she's been able to do. So, I am optimistic that with some hard work, I will be able to keep the synkinesis at bay and even improve it.

Of course, there is no "cure" for synkinesis. It will require a lifetime of facial exercises, and possibly botox injections (although hopefully NOT). For anyone reading this who isn't entirely certain what the heck synkinesis is - in simple terms, it means that the facial nerves in my face "mis-connected" as they were healing and now my face has what is euphemistically called "inappropriate movements." Left untreated, they can and usually do get worse. With treatment, I can literally retrain the muscles to move appropriately, thereby smacking those pesky, disobedient facial nerves.

To tell the truth, I've been trying to ignore this for awhile - foolishly hoping that the problem would miraculously disappear. Thank goodness that Willie was having none of it, and took the initiative to call Jackie himself. (Thank you, honey!)

As we get closer, I'll post some pictures of my face making it's little grimaces. Then, I'll post some more pictures after I get back from Wisconsin so you can see the difference (I'm optimistic). One more step in this journey. More fodder for the book that is percolating in the back of my mind.

I talked to another acoustic neuroma patient this afternoon - she's having surgery with Golfinos and Roland (my surgeons) on Jan 6, and is at that stage where she is very anxious. Boy, can I relate to that. We had a laugh about the obsessive need to micromanage every single detail. Actually, she sounds a lot like I did when I was in the final month. We had a good talk and it was a good reminder to me about how far I've come.

5 comments:

  1. Oh! That sounds interesting. Can't wait to see how that is going to work out. Good initiative Willy, and you Deborah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lorenzo. Hoping for good results - she's got an excellent reputation and has treated a lot of other AN patients with good results. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and make sure to document it all, in words and images! that book of yours will be interesting.

    I'm thinking portraits and interviews...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck to you! You have come so far and I know that this is will only be another step to a more beautiful (on the outside) YOU!!...even though I think the one now is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fascinating! I am glad you are going to the world's expert in facial retraining even if that means you will be freezing your butt off. Thanks for sharing this - sometimes I forget all of the AN stuff you are dealing with while I am whining to you about how I didn't get to my long to do list. Forgive me, Coach Debbi!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete