Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Balancing Act

Catchy title, right? Well, I've been thinking quite a bit lately about balance. It really started on "The Cruise" last month when my balance took a major hit. I sometimes forget how much I rely on sight to compensate for the now-missing balance nerve on my right side. It leads to all kinds of funny situations, and a few hair-raising ones. Mostly funny, though.

The ship, of course, was particularly problematic because of all the colors and patterns that cruise ship companies seem to find necessary - never mind the 20 foot swells and gale-force winds! The patterns alone would have been enough to send my brain running for cover. Interesting, however, how quickly one adjusts. What I have learned is that I have to give the gray matter a chance to settle in for awhile with new surroundings. Kind of like the way I need to let Willie settle in with a new idea (like taking a vacation to Egypt, for example.) Without proper time to adjust, the brain basically gives you a great big finger.

The whole balance thing also doesn't work well in the dark. For example, several weeks ago I was out walking our neurotic collie at night. She, of course, wanted to go to the side of the house where there are no outside lights - and we live in the country where it is pitch black at night. Well, you can see what the problem is. I step onto our lumpy lawn, stumble, and go right down. Yep, on my hands and knees in the dark. I know the damned dog was laughing the whole time.

Last Saturday, Willie and I went to a very nice black-tie event. We arrived well into the cocktail hour - about 200 people (all in formal attire) were milling about in a space designed for maybe 100 people, noise level through the roof - and I was already tired. I think I got about 10 steps into the writhing mass of people when my brain said "not gonna happen!" Fortunately, Willie steered me to a place along the wall where I was able to enter into negotiations with my brain. I eventually won. And it was worth it because they had fillet Mignon for dinner - with a nice glass of Cabernet!

The other day I had lunch with a friend, and as I was hugging her goodbye, I realized that I was losing my balance. I was starting to slowly tip forward, like a tree being felled in the forest. And all the while I was desperately clutching my friend! I could feel it happening, but couldn't do a damned thing to stop it. Fortunately, she kind of gave me a push backwards and I regained my balance. Honestly, it was so funny - I had this momentary vision of us both falling down in a heap in the parking lot! Well, that certainly would have gotten everyone's attention.

So, more entertaining experiences. And I am sure everyone out there who has done battle with an acoustic neuroma will have their own funny balance stories to share....

3 comments:

  1. My brain seems to enjoy reminding me occasionally that 'hey, I'm still faulty ye know, haven't gone away!' It's like some temperamental teenager, male, with a perverse sense of making an adult look like an idiot. Negotiations usually go long the lines, 'yes you will, no I won't, yes you will, NO I WON'T', etc, you get the idea. And usually this happens at the most inopportune moments. A restaurant with a noise wall, and group of friends / people / strangers looking at me while all talking, in the dark while walking towards people, when I put sunglasses on... One day I was standing there having just come out of a darkish interior into the sunlight, and I stopped to put my sunglasses on. Brain / teenager decides that the darkness from them was not what it wanted, I started toppling over backwards as I pushed my sunglasses onto my head. The momentum was enough to make me topple back like a drunk. I had one glass of Barbera, if you must know. Fortunately Sheila was standing right behind me and pushed me back forward.

    As for walking at night, I compare it with walking on jelly, it's fun to see where it decides to go, because I certainly do not have much control apart of the general direction. I had close and intimate encounters with trees and lampposts, and certainly have walked on more things I tried to avoid than I care to remember.

    Oh yes, a faulty and limited balance system is a hoot. You should all try it once if you haven't the privilege of an AN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for spouses who have our backs (literally!)

    I live the analogy of walking on jello - that about sums it up.

    Do you ever notice, also, how if you are walking and not really paying attention to your feet - i.e. looking around, gazing up, etc - you very quickly go off course. I recently found myself all the way on the other side of our little road! OOps. I feel as if maybe I should wear a cattle bell to warn others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only direction i look is down. Looking up causes me to keel over backwards, or walk into some unexplained object to my left. :) Forget about looking at buildings or such tall thing. I need to 'stop & hold' to do that. It's fun though! LOL Direction is only a vague notion now. Great. :)

    ReplyDelete