Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Happy Halloween

As Halloween approaches, a mere three days away, I realize that I don't actually have to wear a costume this year to greet the Trick or Treaters. Yep, I can just put on my eye patch and give 'em a big smile (okay, a big half-smile). How much you want to bet that I can scare the stuffing out of some of the kids?

Willie is leaving Friday morning for the last race of the year - a 12-hour endurance race at Virginia International Raceway. I will be staying here in NJ to scare the kids and keep the home fires burning, so to speak. In preparation for the race, Willie bought a mini-bike. What, you ask, does that have to do with racing? Good question. Apparently, the HeManRacing team are concerned about walking from the pits to the "grid" so they "need" a mini-bike to transport themselves. Hey, back in my day, we rode our damned bikes!! No motors... Well, men need their toys, I guess.

It is currently doing something truly evil outside - something that the illustrious weather folks call a "wintry mix" which is code for snow and freezing rain. At the moment, it is more of the former and less of the latter - meaning that some of the snow is actually accumulating on the ground. What a mess. I think the animals have the right idea - the cats are curled up napping and Carrie is cozy in her crate while I sit here at my desk. Who's the smart one here?

Last Saturday, Willie and I attended the Acoustic Neuroma Assn's New Jersey mini-conference in Summit, NJ. It was a half-day event with speakers from both the medical community and the patient community. Very interesting. I also got to meet some of my fellow patients (Joe, Nancy, Catherine, Patricia and Mickey) which was an extra treat. It is very helpful to connect with other folks who have gone through this to compare notes and, in some cases, commiserate. Kay and Lorenzo, you know what I mean. Willie and I are planning to attend the ANA national conference next August in Chicago, where I expect to meet a lot of other folks who I've only met on the phone or online. For such a rare brain tumor, it's a very active and connected patient group. I can't imagine going through this without the support of other patients.

Well, those are my thoughts on this snowy, messy day ...

10 comments:

  1. snow! s n o w ! ! ! omgomgomg I loooooove snow. sigh. away in switzerland right now, and even here they don't have snow. sigh.

    there's noting like having a group of people to share, chat, discuss, argue, debate, commiserate, moan and laugh with about all this sorry AN saga. It becomes one big dysfunctional happy group. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Lorenzo!
    And, I'll be happy to send you some snow - it is way too early here for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited about the 1st snow of the year, but it doesn't usually happen until a little later here! I am so glad to be connected to the AN group now - believe me, it is VERY LONELY not knowing ANYONE while going thru this journey! Hopefully, we will get to come to Chicago - it is the same weekend that we have a family trip every few years. We never know for sure when we will do it or not...I'll have to ask as it gets closer, but I couldn't NOT take my kids. It is such the "kids" weekend!! I am REALLY excited about the possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  4. turns out they're having a really cold spell back 'home' in Ireland, with 0C right now in in the south east. Much too early for that kind of weather for us too!

    Do you think snow would travel well by FedEx? Maybe freeze dry it? Vac Pack? sigh... i miss it. brings back childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not going to scare the kids - They're acually less judgemental than adults! I remember at Costco one time a sample giver told me I had entered a "no Frown Zone" - those were almost fighting words to my MIL - I had to calm her down! Anyway, I'm considering Chicago too...would be cool to meet you and others in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, wish granted. It snowed and still is snowing here in Switzerland now. Great! I'm happy! :D

    Scare the kids? Nah... Why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is no snow in Texas! Being from Minnesota where snow was a way of life I envy you guys in the northern hemispheres. But then, I'm putting in the fall garden today- always a trade off...
    Happy Halloween Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is a trade off. My garden is a dormant as it gets by now, and the last few tomatoes I left behind before going away now must be frozen stiff in the glass house.

    Snow report: melted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, amazingly enough, there are still some piles of snow in some of the parking lots - even though it got up to about 60 today. Tomorrow I am going to prune back the rest of my perennials - hopefully I won't tip over! And, now, on to trick or treaters!

    Lorenzo, do kids trick or treat over there, or is yet another symptom of American overindulgence?

    ReplyDelete
  10. late reply. sorry, just got back from trip.

    Kids do, mostly treat. Too lazy to do tricks, wouldn't know how. feh. :)

    ReplyDelete