Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Almost Six Months

... since the great Boogerectomy! I can't beleive that six months ago I was making final preperations to check into NYU Med Center for brain surgery - wow! I kind of like to take stock every month to see where I am at in the recovery process. And, if they had told me after surgery that I would still be recoverying six months later, I would have been plenty pissed! However, life is what it is and you have to make the very best of it.

So, where am I at the nearly-six-month mark?
On the plus side...

My balance continues to get better, although when I am tired I still stagger around like a drunken sailor. No falling, though, which is something to be very pleased about!

I can now make a small smile with both sides of my mouth - nothing like my big smile of old, but a smile none-the-less!

I have a lot of movement in the cheek and central part of my face - very encouraging!

I am not overcome by fatigue as often now and get through most days without even thinking about a nap. Of course, I am sleeping 9-10 hours a night ... :)

I think my eye can close now!! It takes a lot of concentration, but Willie said that he could not see any "white" looking back at him last night when I tried to close it. Many Yippees on that!!

On the non-plus side ...
I have chronic pain in my neck and the side of my head. I am trying different things to combat it, from hot compresses to massage to drugs. I know it will get better over time. It seems to be muscle pain from where they pulled the muscle aside to open up my head.

Still no tears, which means that I am constantly having to keep my eye lubricated.

Still no movement on my forehead or chin, but the docs did say that that would be the last to return. The right side of my tongue is also still numb, although I am used to that now.

So, that's the current state of affairs in the post-brain surgery world on Tallyho Lane.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you ARE making process and more importantly, you at peace about the way things are going...we don't have to love it, but are at peace...does that make sense? Continued progress wishes to you!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accepting is half the battle, and you certainly are winning! Well done on your first 6 months. By the time you reach a couple of years it'll be hohum.

    All that demands a glass of some wine. Salute!

    ReplyDelete