Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Progress!

Spring has sprung here in NJ and the weather has been nearly perfect for the last week. Two years ago, I was in the final countdown to brain surgery. I wonder if I will ever view spring in quite the same way as I did BBT (Before Brain Tumor). I was laser focused on the surgery and had a detailed plan for every minute before and after surgery. I thought I had planned for every possible contingency. Based on all the orders I was barking out to everyone within range, I seemed to be in total command of the situation!

As usual, life has other plans for us. The only thing I really didn't plan for was facial complications. Not that I didn't know that facial involvement wasn't a possibility - more that I just didn't want to think about it. Which isn't really like me. Well, anyway, life tossed me a lemon in the form of facial paralyis and all of its ensueing challenges.

Happily, I have regained most (probably 75% give or take) movement back and I look pretty much like anyone else unless you know what you are looking for. Several months ago a blogged about my visit to Jackie Diels, neuromuscular facial therapist, extraordinairre. I posted some pictures which probably tell the story better than words. I am getting ready to post some more pictures, although I think right now the progress is more internal than perhaps external. The most profound change recently is that I am no longer slurring or lisping! Which means that I am improving control of my lips. wahoo! Also, and this is huge, the horrid tightness in my right cheek is almost gone!!! I do notice that it tightens up if I am tired, or towards the end of the day and I am still using moist heat on my face in the evening, but it is just so much better. It feels amazing not to have my face feel like it is clampled in a giant vise. Yay!! Now, if I could just make the freakin' chin dimple go away (yea, yea, I know - patience, Debbi.)

Everyone has gone to great lengths to tell me that my face will never be quite the same as it was BBT, but I am okay with that. Hell, I am a 54 year old woman - nothing looks quite the same as it used to!

Switching gears for a moment. Lynn's memorial "party" in Seattle was held on the 27th of March. There were about 50 people there to celebrate Lynn's life - lots of food (all the stuff she loved) and lots of singing (many of her old theatre chums were there, so lots of show tunes.) It sounds to me like it was just what Lynn would have wanted. As soon as all of the legal hurdles are cleared, her sister Karen will bring her ashes to NYC where there will be another celebration with all of her East Coast friends. It was her wish that there not be formal services, but instead "parties" to celebrate the good times. It's fitting.

2 comments:

  1. Dimples? Dimples are cute! Love the idea of parties for Lynn, nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbi, I am so glad to hear that you 'feel' progress. It makes it so worth what you have done! I hope everyday continues with even the tiniest notice of something. Of course, the best wish is that it all came back over night....ha I know that's a wish that don't come true :-)

    I periodically check into the blogs I follow and don't post, but I wanted to say awesome on the changes for your health. But on the other hand I had to say I am so sorry for your loss of what sounds to be a great friend. Sounds like you had good times/good memories with her & the others. I'll be honest, I'm almost jealous because most of my friends I was that close with, well when moves were made and families started coming, it seems like we slip apart. It can be sad. Thankfully I have a great husband and family and friends in general!!

    Thinking of you in your time of healing for both situations.
    Denise (fellow ANer-MI)

    ReplyDelete