Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ode To A Nap

Napping you ask? A blog about napping? Seriously? Okay well I have not taken leave of my senses and I really do have a couple of things to say about napping.

First, let me tell you that I am married to a man who has deep appreciation for the art form of napping. In fact, when we first started dating I used to be somewhat alarmed by Willie's ability to nap almost anywhere anytime. Most shocking of all, was when Willey wanted to nap when we were on vacation! As someone who is chronically in motion, I could not understand Willie's desire to nap. After all there are of things to do and places to see -- no time for napping.

Well, my whole perspective on napping changed just about two years ago. Turns out that one of the byproducts of brain surgery is fatigue -- numbing, impossible to ignore, not-to-be-denied fatigue! For the first couple of months following surgery I found myself napping at least once, sometimes twice a day. And these weren’t just quick little 20 minute naps either -- these were masterpiece naps that could easily consume several hours.

While I no longer have the need to nap multiple times a day, or for hours at a time, I do still find that I am occasionally overcome by fatigue and when that happens, the only solution is a nap! And I've learned to embrace my need to nap. Yes, I have become a lover of the nap. In fact, as I plan our upcoming trip to Ireland, I find myself trying to figure out when we will fit in our naps!

Yep, I’ve gone over to the dark side – I am officially and forever … a Napper!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club! I am a firm support and enthusiastic disciple of The Nap. Long live The Nap and side kick, the micro nap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I don't get a nap on Sunday afternoons (or sometime during the weekend), my whole week turns into SHAMBLES!! Kendie still needs that Sunday nap too so I tell her she has to "cuddle with ME!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naptime would come right at "pick-up" time for me each day so I have to drink a Diet Coke instead!!

    ReplyDelete