Friday, October 2, 2009

A Memory Day


I've always hoped that when I am old and gray and sitting in the rocker, I'll have full access to my memories. And, I especially want to dwell on all the happy memories I've accumulated with family and friends.

Last weekend was definitely a Memory Weekend. My friend Ellen and I flew to Seattle bright and early in the morning - a long six-hours cooped up on a very full flight. That afternoon, we drove over to the Ballard Care center to visit our friend Lynn. When we arrived, she was sitting up in bed and had very carefully put on all her makeup, including lipstick. I am not sure why, but that just touched me in a very special way. Lynn's dearest friend of over 25 years, Kura, also flew out - and we didn't tell Lynn in advance so it was a comlete surprise when we walked in the door with Kura in tow. My golden memory of this day is the look of total surprise and joy on Lynn's face when she saw Kura come through the door. Her chin literally dropped - it was priceless.

The next day, we had planned a surprise birthday celebration for Lynn - it will be her last and we all wanted to make it something special. It was also important that it be in our own "grand tradition" with plenty of gifts, balloons, champagne and chocolate. She was totally surprised as the guest started arriving, but also delighted. Ellen and I got there well ahead of anyone else, so early that Lynn had not yet "put on her face". It was a nearly indescribable joy to watch her go through the process of carefully applying her makeup. She told stories throughout, and stopped frequently to make small adjustments or just to rest for a moment. There was something so deeply sweet and normal about this small thing - it is a memory that I will always treasure.

I took many pictures which will remind me in years to come about this special weekend - and there are also those little special moments that will just live in my memory. This is what really matters in life - spending time with those you love. Cherish your own memories, and keep making more of them.

2 comments:

  1. very touching and heart warming. I'm glad you have those memories to hold on to. :)

    ReplyDelete