Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Attempts to Poison Tallyho Lane

Some things have nothing to do with brain tumors and yet are funny (and potentially life threatening...)

Yesterday I decided to take my bread-making prowess to a new level by making Pumpernickel bread. As an aside, did you know that there is no such seed, nut or flour called pumpernickel? What makes it pumpernickel is unsweetened bakers chocolate (powder). Hm.

Okay, so back to the story... I use the bread machine to make the dough, then remove it and let it rise twice, first as a glob and the second time shaped into a nice loaf or baguette. Loaf in this case. Things were progressing nicely, and the loaf was at the perfect level of "rise" to pop into the oven. Donning oven mitts, I slid the loaf in to the hot oven then headed upstairs to do something. About 5 minutes later, I started to smell something really awful. And, by awful, I mean horrendous.

I ran downstairs and whipped open the oven door. Of course, I had just put gel drops in my right eye, so I really couldn't see a damned thing. But, there DID appear to be a glob of something right on the lower edge of the oven bottom. It was bluish in color. At first I thought it might be one of those soap-impregnated blue steel wool pads (except that I don't have any of those and even if I did, how the hell would it have gotten into the oven. ) By now the smell was so toxic that I snatched the bread out of the oven, half baked.

On closer examination, I saw that the bluish blob had a dark center. Aha! It was the remnants of a blue kitchen magnet that I hung the oven mitt on! Apparently, when I donned the mitt, I didn't realize that the magnet thingy was dangling from it and apparently it dropped into the oven (which of course I didn't hear, being deaf on the oven-side of my head!)

I won't go into the details of how I chipped the gunky mess off the oven. However, I will tell you that the taste of melting plastic had totally permeated the bread so I had to throw it out and start all over again. Ugh.

As we speak, I am letting the oven run through its self-cleaning cycle. It smells awful. I am sure I am killing brain cells. If you are in NJ and you are reading this, you should probably leave the state!

6 comments:

  1. Chemical Hazard Zone! DO NOT ENTER!!!! LOL Burning plastic is NOT one of the ingredients of pumpernikel. :) That's terrible. EURK. There's nothing quite like plastics to stink. Well, ok, maybe some other organic things come close, but still.

    So, I'm curious, how did you get the plastic off?? Chisel? Blow Torch? Melt and scrape?

    :) How's the second bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least it was an accident. When I was living alone and didn't know a damn thing about housekeeping I had run out of dishwasher detergent and instead used Tide clothes detergent. I left and came back to the apartment with soaps suds up to my knees.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really has nothing to do with burnt plastic but your title made me think of the time that my family thought I was trying to poison them - or at least burn their sweet, little mouths off...We had just moved into our current house and I had just unpacked the pantry...My friend and I were taking food over to a (larger) family who had just added another one. She cooks at church on Wednesday night & had spaghetti sauce (& meatballs) left so she told me to make the spaghetti and we'd just mix it all together since we had so many to feed. Well, I can never tell how much pasta to make so I made WAY too much...I didn't think I had any jar sauce but saw some when putting stuff in the pantry so I poured it into a pan and yelled to Dave that there was sauce on the stove & noodles in the sink for them. When i returned (much later) the greeted me with "YOU TRIED TO KILL US!!' Fortunately Dave tasted the warmed up sauce before he dished it all out b/c it was HOT (& heated) SAUCE! i knew I didn't have any spaghetti sauce...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we must all have some embarrassing moments in the kitchen! Kay, so funny about the hot sauce! Angie - I did nearly the same thing - put liquid detergent in the dishwasher - BIG mistake - suds everywhere!

    Lorenzo - I armed myself with one of Willie's big screwdrivers and literally chipped it off. Lots of work. Then, just to be safe, I ran the self-cleaning cycle yesterday (stinky even without plastic.) Second loaf of bread was MUCH better!

    Tonight - caponata! Fresh local eggplant and tomatoes. Plan to serve it over pasta - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, caponata!! Lovely. :) Haven't made that this year yet. Hemmm... I will try to remember a bad kitchen moment. I have blanked them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. 2k moulding

    ReplyDelete