Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Things

Not a very creative title, is it? Too bad. I'm tired and just couldn't come up with anything more creative at the moment. I reserve the right to change it later ... or never ... or whatever!

It's been a brain-tumor themed week. Saturday I joined the NY/NJ group in NYC for our now twice-annual brunch at Brendan's. The group was a bit smaller than last time - only about 8 of us - but you would never have known that from the noise we created. Pretty funny when a group of mostly SSD people get together and all start talking at once! Last time we met, Neal was only a few weeks from his surgery, so it was great to see him now at several months post surgery. He looks great - great big smile! In fact, as I looked around
the table, I realized how terrific the whole bunch looks. Well, heck, don't take my word for it - here's a picture! Mike and his wife are on the far left - Mike's a Wait and Watch and goes to the same docs as me. That's me in the orange shirt. Behind me is Joe, also a Golfinos/Roland patient and had surgery in Jan 07. Then Wendy and Neal (July 08 and Feb 09, respectively.) Catherine, Nancy, and Eve weren't able to make this lunch, but we hope they'll be around for the next one.

Monday I had my visit with Dr Roland for follow up on my facial nerve function. As I approach the 18 month mark (November) it's time to start talking about what's next. I've regained probably about 80% of my nerve function, but progress has been at pretty much of a standstill for the last few months. I still have hyperactive muscles in my right cheek which causes my upper lip to pull up - this has been like this for over six months, so it probably won't go away without some help. Right eye still blinks less often than left, and no sign of tears. Lower lip just isn't cooperating and is still pretty useless.

So, when I go back in December we'll start talking about medical botox (freaks me out) to relax the muscle in my cheek, which will allow my mouth to look more normal at rest. I can also consider a shot to the chin which would get rid of the spontaneous dimpling that occurs when I smile or blink (some synkinesis, probaby). He said that the results usually last about six months and frequently need to be repeated multiple times for persistent facial issues.

The lower lip is a bit more of a challenge and if it doesn't come back I can consider surgery to graft some nerve. Dr. R suggested that I use the time at the Acoustic Neuroma symposium (Chicago in August) to investigate some of the newer treatments. This will give he and I much to discuss when I see him in December.

I am feeling some conflicting emotions at this point. Dr. Roland says that I am in the small minority of patients with a tumor in this size range who have long term facial issues (something like 5%). He bases this on his own stats in doing this surgery for so many years. I kind of wish I wasn't in this elite little percentage, but I am also reconciled to it for the most part. I am so used to using drops all day, every day, that I don't give it alot of thought. Non moving eye-brow? Not a big deal and I honestly really don't care about it. Lip/mouth? Well, that's more of a concern to me. My question for myself - is it enough of a concern to swallow my fear about botox injections? Would I consider a surgery to correct the lower lip function? Hm, something to ponder. I will spend the next four or five months reading and researching and talking to people. There is certainly no rush.

Any comments or experiences that you'd care to share with me?

3 comments:

  1. Obviously your not, but my first piece of advice would be NOT to rush into anything! My situation was different since I never ever had ANY bit of movement so I don't beat myself up about getting something done too soon. However, since you have gptten so much movement back- & we have seen so many people of the Forum that have made progress farther out - I wouldn't be in a hurry to do anything... I, of course, think that your smile is FANTASTIC - what i wouldn't give for a toothy smile again! Glad y'all had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Kay - and I am not in any rush. Figure I'll spend the next few months just gathering more info, then I can talk to the doctor more specifically in December - and then we'll see how I feel. I'm actually very happy with my smile - it's the pulled up lip that is troubling (mostly because of the potential dental problems it can cause.) And, I hate going to the dentist - I think I'd rather have brain surgery... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbi,
    I get the botox every 3 months and I must say that although it doesn't feel too good being stuck in the face and neck about 10 times.........the pain goes away immediately after the needle is taken out AND the effects of the botox are GREAT! It does make the mouth work better because the neck pulls down the mouth and chin. I can eat better, talk easier, close my mouth easier (my husband loves this one) it just feels better all around. There is NO reason why you should not have this done. There are no bad effects from this and just consider it a treatment that you will get as needed for the rest of your life. I LOVE it. The chin dimples are gone, the tendons in the neck relax, my eyebrow doesn't shoot up when I smile. It relaxes everything yet allows for more movement......natural movement. You have GOT TO DO IT Debbi. I have all of the things that you mention and botox is your answer just don't let them botox near your bottom lip as it is already too weak. Same here. I'm also getting collagen injected into my vocal cords under anesthesia so that I can talk better, eat better and hopefully stop choking. (from the stroke) They are floppy and this will help. I am getting more botox in August and look forward every time to the relief and improved appearance and feel that I get every time I get it done. Just make sure that your facial retrainer is there to guide the doctor in the proper placement of the botox. DO IT. Do it. DO IT.
    angie
    the nerve thing to the bottom lip...what is that?

    ReplyDelete