Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jackie Diels and My Smile

Instead of a New Year's resolution, I am making a fall resolution - to blog more often! I've been horribly remiss this summer, not because there wasn't a lot going on, but maybe because there was TOO much going on.

Anyway, I started my day off today with a video chat with Jackie Diels, who is (in my opinion) the BEST facial re-trainer on the planet! You may recall that I went to visit Jackie 18 months ago pictures here. I was so blown away with what she was able to teach me that I went to her six months later for a follow up visit. By the way, she is in Wisconsin and I live in NJ - so that tells you how great I think she is! The improvement I've seen in my face, and especially my smile, is amazing. My smile won't ever look quite like it did pre-brain tumor, but I am pretty darned happy with my "new" smile. And, for that, I have to say "Thank you, Jackie Diels!"

If anyone reading this wants more info, please shoot me an email or message me from here.

I'll be back soon with another update!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Debbi,
    i'm very thrilled to read about your progress and your satisfaction after undergoing Jackie's neuromuscular facial retraining program! i'm a Physical Therapist from Singapore, and would like to contact Jackie to find out more about neuromuscular facial retraining, is there any way you may be able to provide her contact email? Thank You for your help with this.
    - sofia seah (sofia_seah@nuhs.edu.sg)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbi,
    My name is Kathryn and my daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor a year ago. We had a total resection and did 33 rounds of radiation She is a doing great and cancerfree. We just visited St, Jude and the speech therapist informed me she had synkinesis from surgery. Her left eye closes when she smiles. I wanted to see who you recommended because we live in Louisiana and no one seems to know anything about it. thanks kathryn (kathryn_joyce@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie,

    I am a 29 year old female. I was diagnosed with a large (4cm), right side Acoustic Neuroma in Jan 2011. After the 2nd surgery to remove it, I had facial paralysis and still have it. I saw on another board that you had it removed at NYU and that Dr. Roland was involved. I also had mine removed at NYU but by Dr. Sen and Dr. Roland (I lived in NYC at the time, now I am in Miami, FL). I still have facial paralysis and just learned about Jackie. I have contacted her and will be talking to her next week and likely visiting her in Madison soon. After my few conversations with her I have a lot of hope that she can help, but your story has give me even more! I am sooo happy that she was able to help you and that you are doing well. This tumor totally changed my life as I'm sure it did yours as well, but really the facial paralysis is the hardest thing to deal with. Thanks for sharing your story! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie, glad you found this, and that you found Jackie! If anyone can help you with facial recovery, it is Jackie - that woman has worked miracles for me and for a lot of other people. And, as you have already discovered, she is compassionate and caring. I am seeing her in NYC next week - she is making a trip out to work with a plastic surgeon at NYU and to see some private patients. I will be getting botox injections under her supervision to try to release some of the persistently knotted muscles in my face and neck. I'm both excited and nervous - but mostly excited. I'll post something here next week after I get back from NY. If there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know!

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbi! I came across your blog and your experience with Bell's Palsy. I'm on my 3rd month with minimal movement on the cheek area only. I reached out to Jackie Diels, but unfortunately, with my financial situation right now, I cannot afford her services. Hope you can share with me some facial stretches that she taught as I lived down here in Anchorage, Alaska. Wishing you well. Thank you

    ReplyDelete