Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hyperacusis

For the last two years, I've had an uncomfortable sensitivity to noise. And, frankly, I haven't given it much thought - I just make sure to have an ear plug or to have my finger at the ready (to jam into the ear, of course!) Then, today, I was browsing the Acoustic Neuroma Assn forum and saw a topic on hearing sensitivity and - lo and behold - there is an actual name for it. Hyperacusis. Huh.

I did some reading up on it (thank you Google) and found myself nodding my head and mumbling to myself - "yep, that's exactly what happens." And, then I vaguely remembered Dr. Roland mentioning this as a possibility to me early on when I complained of noise discomfort. I was in the throws of dealing with post surgical infection and facial paralysis at the time, so it must have gone in one ear ... and right back out the same ear. (HaHa - Get it?)

In any event, it is something of a relief that I'm not just being a wimp. Turns out that there are quite a few people out there who have varying degrees of hyperacusis. And many accompanied by tinnitis which I thankfully don't have. So the good news is that I have company and I am not losing my mind; the bad news is that there really isn't a cure for it. So, have ear plug at the ready and avoid certain noises (kids screaming, small dogs barking, sirens, loud music, etc). Not so bad.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, indeed that's what it is. But also, we all have a certain level of it, An or not, especially as we get older. We ANers just get it worse because our brains can't filter out unwanted noises so all comes into our ear at the same level of priority: LOUD and NOW! Ear plugs are good, but be careful not to wear them too often as they can damage the hearing. Only in extreme cases. I stopped using them now, preferring to leave the offending space and find somewhere more quiet. If I can. Otherwise it's the finger; in my ear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think Willie is getting it now - he has "sympathetic hyperacusis!" :)

    As for the earplug - I don't use it all that often. I like to have it when we go into NYC because the street noise there can be overwhelming at times - diesel trucks and buses create an unbelievable level of noise, never mind the sirens.

    ReplyDelete